Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Ratch...And anyone with a BlackBerry

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stickseler, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

HTML:
    www.mobishark.com
    Kicks A$$ Works great on my laptop, Now I can surf on vacation :)

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Cool, but not really new. It will still use your cell minutes and be like dial-up. There's been a few companies that have sold that type of thing for years to use with normal cell phones.

Best just to get a Wi-Fi card. There's millions of Wi-Fi networks these days that you can use.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have used my cell phone as a modem, but I understand that if they catch you its about $.02 per kb which would get very expensive fast. i only do it to check e-mail once in a while and keep the total download low. I use DataPilot and a USB cord.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool. I read something on a blackberry forum somewhere once about that. I thought it was native software to the BB, but I never found it.

It does not necessarily use minutes like a cell phone, even though it uses the newer cell data network. Most Blackberry's have unlimited data as part of the plan (but then, I'm sure it varies from plan to plan/company to company). The device itself is primarily a data device more than a phone.

The speed is actually pretty good, too. I have a verizon wireless card for my laptop, and the speed on that is way better than a dial-up modem. The BB uses the same network as the card. I've surfed the net on my blackberry either really fast or really slow, all depending on where I am.

5. cbbr

How fast is the verizon card? i have been waiting on ev-do to get here.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

We have it in most of the area, maybe everywhere up here now. I don't have any numbers, but it's just a little slower than my cablemodem and office T1. I do a lot of remote desktop work, and I can work fine over the verizon card.

I'll try it on the train home tonight with a couple files and see what the times are. The thing that sucks about it (for me at least) is that when you're moving, it may seem like it's hung for a second while it must be passing to a new cell tower. Like when I'm on the train during large file copies, the byte count stops for a second every now and then, then resumes.

7. cbbr

It is about the same price as cable service here so I may just get the aircard and ditch the cable.

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Actually this is one of the first userfriendly software versions for the BB and on the BB its unlimited data so they can do anything about it.

9. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Well, that's pretty damned sweet then! :D I was looking at Aircards years ago, but they were way too much. Probably cheaper now, but I have WiFi and a laptop. Can go to most modest sized towns and find a network.