Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey RENE!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

In this post over on Pirate, mj made reference to your home fabbed shackle flip design...

[ QUOTE ]
    I like the job tRusty did by cutting the bottom out of the stock hanger and then extending the stock shackle to provide the need ed range of motion
    low buck and works well enough to stuff the tire into the tub

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats the story on this? Any pictures? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Checked out your gallery and found a few pictures..

Is this as straight forward to do as it looks? What kinda springs are those? 57"ers? How much lift did that get you? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I cant speak for Rene, but thats how I did mine and its as simple as cutting the bottom out and making sure that the shackle clears through the whole range of movement.

I do like how Rene braced his. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    I cant speak for Rene, but thats how I did mine and its as simple as cutting the bottom out and making sure that the shackle clears through the whole range of movement.

[/ QUOTE ]

That part is easy to see...I'm mostly curious about the extened shackle and what springs he's using. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The longer shackle looks like one used to lower our trucks to the ground.

I don't know what springs those are. At first I thought they were 62" IFS springs but the rear hanger isn't moved back far enough.

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

...what springs he's using. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ford 57's. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes it's that easy.

Since you're a master welder I HIGHLY suggest you add as much plate as possible. Guys here have been running around with their hangers hacked for a long time without issues, but it just looks too scary to me.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I extended the stock shackle 1.5" using tubing. I reshaped the tubing with a BFH until it was a nice oval and matched the profile of the shackle...prepped the ends and welded it up.

I run the 57" Ford springs, the shackle hanger bracket is moved 2.5" back. The hanger is gusseted with some flat bar which was 2" x 14" IIRC.

The longer shackle helps a lot. a shorter shackle with those springs and it would have hit the hanger at one extreme or the other, but as it is now at full stuff or full droop the shackle still has a little room left. The 57's are so flexy, you need to be able to get 6" of swing out of the shackle to accomodate them. Unloaded they are a hair under 51" from eye to eye, and obviously they are 57" at their longest.

Rene