Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Seattle Folks! Need Ideas...

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by DougK20, Dec 14, 2004.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

For my wife's birthday (Dec. 31st) I am secretly flying her to Seattle to attend the New Year's Eve party on top of the Space Needle. We will be staying through Sunday night.

Neither of us have been to Seattle and I was wondering what are some things she would enjoy doing on Saturday and Sunday. I'm concerned that attractions will be closed because of the holiday weekend.

Thought about ferry tours, shopping, museums, etc. But, will they be open?

We will be staying at the Edgewater (Pier 67 Alaskan Way) and would like some ideas of things to do near there. Thanks!

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Gotta check out Pike St. Market. Pretty cool stuff down there. Also, just mill around the downtown area. You'll find a bunch of cool places.:waytogo:

3. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Definetly check out the Pike Place Market,can't go wrong there,lots of shops and restaraunts around , watching all the moss covered people is always entertaining...:D :xmas:

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Pike Place Market is a great place to just wander around and look at a bunch of cool stuff. You can even watch the guys toss fish around.:shocked:

When you have had enough of that you can go for a walk along the Seattle waterfront. There are some pretty good restaurants, a really cool aquarium, shops, a Soviet Submarine you can tour and a bunch of other stuff. After looking at all that you should head over to the Space Needle and check out the view from the top. From City Center (where the Space Needle is) you can ride the Monorail to Westlake Center and look at all the shops and stuff. Westlake is like a huge shopping mall located downtown.

If you like to go for boat rides then check out Argosy Cruises ( http://www.argosycruises.com/publiccruises/default.cfm ) for one of thier daily cruises around the bay. They are right there on the Seattle waterfront so you can walk there. Depending on availablity you might be able to get on one of their dinner cruises, they are really a blast.

After all that if you still have have a few extra bucks burning a hole in your pocket, you really should check out Kenmore Air for a nice sightseeing tour of the area. : http://www.kenmoreair.com/sights.htm . They fly off Lake Union which is just a short cab ride (less than 3 miles) from your Hotel.

Don't forget: If you need to get around town, all the busses are free in the downtown area.

Hope you folks have a blast!

:saweet: :saweet: :saweet:

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i may be the only one, but I thought Pike St Market was lame. Sure, its kind of cool to watch a couple of guys throw fish around the room... but once that wears off you're left with a stinky dirty shopping experience where stores selling little girly junk and extreme left-wing books are the vast majority. Lots of shady drug users running around down there too. Meh!

j

6. john39671

john39671 1/2 ton status

If you like Baseball or Football another good place to go is SafeCo field and check out the Mariners team store and the Seahawks stadium is right next door.
    We go up every year to a couple of Mariners games and see the sights. The funnest thing we have found to do is ride the local bus lines about midnight and see all of the night dwellers of Seattle. The first time we were on the bus my boys were sitting across the isle from my wife and I and this older black lady leaned up and said "you hae the most well mannered children I have ever seen". I told her they were in culture shock. That was the first time they were out of Eastern Oregon or western Idaho in their life time. Other than that there is a lot to do up there.

7. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Also might want to check out the Ave.( Broadway ) or even Pioneer Square, lots of good music Old Timers,Doc Maynards, Central. Usually one cover charge gets you in to all, any thing from blues, jazz, rock. If it is still open look up the Off Ramp for metal. Good comedy clubs too,Comedy Underground and Giggles.:xmas:

8. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

What about taking the ferry over to Victoria Island for a day? Would that be fun? What about ferry times and costs? Thanks! Doug

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  9. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Well, we just got back last night and I must say, it was a great time!

We flew into Sea-Tac and a waiting limo took us to our Edgewater waterview suite. Around 10pm we were shuttled to the Space Needle New Years Celebration Party. What a blast! The food, music, and crowd kicked ass. The fireworks were amazing to look down on. If you were watching NBC King5 live report, you saw us and didn't even know it. We were filmed several times during the feed. I even arranged for the band to bring my wife on stage and they lead the whole crowd in singing happy birthday to her. It was an incredible evening! The days following we went to the aquarium, science museum, Pike market, and a lovely dinner cruise. The weather was great. Every meal was spectacular and we couldn't stop talking about how nice the locals were.

You have a beautiful town and we appreciated your hospitality. Doug