Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey southernspeed Big waves

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ratzila, Oct 25, 2005.

1. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine said his uncle sent him this pic of a rig in the Northern Sea :eek1:

[​IMG]

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I saw some video a while back that was taken from a North Sea oil rig. There was a helicopter (a Super Puma, if anyone's interested...) on final approach to the rig's helipad; the helo was about 5ft. from the deck, and then the rotors coned upward and it rocketed skyward. 'Bout 3 seconds after the helo leaves the frame, a big-a$$ wave crashes over the helipad... and those helipads are like 50-60ft. above the surface!

3. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah that can be a cruel sea. I've seen it as flat as a mill pond but it can (and usually does) get real nasty. A couple of friends of mine were divers on the oil rigs and they've shown me pics and videos of waves you wouldn't believe. The thing is they're not waves like you get coming in a top surf beach, they come from everywhere without stopping. The only other place you'll see seas that wild is in the Southern Ocean. If you ever watch any of the 'round the world' sailing you'll know what I mean.
    But yeah, that North Sea is wild and the people that work on it, especially the fisherman!!! have my greatest respect. I've been in some pretty big seas and it's scary stuff!!