Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Spickler!!!! my trip to NC summary...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Mar 6, 2006.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Well, we made it back in the new truck...I guess theres a little "Mountainexplorer" in me too. I bought this 1984 GMC from Shawn while I was in Afghanistan in January. We made arrangements that I would fly to Denver and pick it up in February. He was cool and siad no problem. We finally got out there and stepped of the plane (7 hours late) to -7 degrees! It was 70 when we left Fayetteville.

My buddy Nick took me to Shawns house at about 1130 pm and I handed him the balance of the truck and he handed my the title. The next morning, I took off for Missouri to see my wife and kids. I made the 800 mile trip with no problems, other than stopping at a truck stop to run a wire from the fuse box to the cig lighter to run my 12v inverter, that powered my laptop, that my iPod was plugged into to have some tunes.

Then for the next 10 days, drove the truck all over Missouri visiting people and hanging out. On Wednesday morning, I loaded up my 4 and 5 year olds, all their toys, my Trail ready beadlocks that have been at dads since August, and headed east to North Carolina. The truck ran like a top, and other than the oil cooler lines leaking all over, I had no problems. I also had no problems filling it up every 370 miles!!!

I drove the truck for the last few days around town, and backed it into the garage to pull the axles, and add a lift. I traded a freind the axles the rims and a set of super swampers to come over and help me. I am waiting to go pick up my 1 tons to replace them and the 38.5" boggers on some blinging aluminum rims.

All said and done with, I put over 2800 miles on that truck since I picked it up in Denver, with not a problem one.

here are a few pics. And thanks again Shawn for selling me a sound truck, then holding it for nearly 6 weeks, then letting me come over at midnight to pick it up!!! Beers for next time I see ya!!!

Topping off before heading out http://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17928&stc=1&d=1141701248

Driving across Kans-ass
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17931&stc=1&d=1141701248

Craig helping me strip her down
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17927&stc=1&d=1141701414
    Side shothttp://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17929&stc=1&d=1141701414http://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17930&stc=1&d=1141700948

craig.jpg

truckin colorado.jpg

truck1.jpg

truck2.jpg

preccuba 028.jpg

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sweet roadtrip:bow:

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Funny, I just saw that truck the other day (I live just a few miles from Shawn).

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

SWEEET!!! You made it and everything went well! :)

Sorry about that oil line. If I thought about it, I would of removed it and put a standard oil adapter on the block and got the cig lighter working if I knew it was bad.

I'm going to miss that truck! :( Man its looking awesome already!

BTW- Everyone should also know that your truck is going to be famous. They are going to be airing the show April 28th. Then you'd get to see what really happened to the sunvisors and the seat I had to replace. The show is called Secrets of Survival. They basically took the truck to the Colorado mountains and made it look like someone was stranded in the winter snow and showed how you can survive with just a few things.

Here's the letter I got from the production company.

Rob-
    Soon as I get the DVD, I will mail to you. Keep us posted on pictures.:bow:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Yeah, no biggie on the oil lines. I have a spare set here. I will knock out all of that little stuff while I am waiting for some other parts to come in.

It was fun doing a fly out/drive back....Of course, Shawn put so much extra time in to it before I got there, I could of just left my tool bag at home!!!

I dont really need the 1 tons under it. I just want a big truck to drive around because I will only be me and the kids, and the Blazer on Rockwells is a little (lot) too much.

Not only that, but I didnt want a nutered K30!!!

That show looks pretty cool, cant wait to see it!!!

Later, Rob

6. Shawn

Yeah, it sucked having a REAL K30 with just a 10 bolt in the front but thats how I purchased it. I'm glad you're giving it back what it was born with. Don't forget you can replace those peanut port heads with something that flows better and increases your compression like some used 396 heads. It will really wake up that 454!

And here's what it will look like on the show. Discovery Channel wanted a stock Chevy truck so I gave them one...:D

k2500-2.jpg

7. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Was that the show with the yahoos that "went down the wrong road and got lost syndrome"? If so I saw part of it and it was OK. Nice presentation of your used to be truck.

8. Shawn

No, I think thats another show but they were trying to duplicate the truck that was used in that show for the Secrets of Survival which doesn't air until April 28th. Here's a pic of the truck they trying to duplicate. Was that the truck you saw???

filmtruck.JPG

9. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Looked more like your truck. This was a true story of a husband and wife with a baby that got lost then went walking and got lost again. They all lived though.

10. Shawn

The show that will air the 28th will be about a guy showing you how to survive in the cold weather. No wife or baby involved. I'll have to look for that other show.

11. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

12. Shawn

:eek1:

Holy sheet Rob! That looks awesome!

:waytogo:

Time for some :hack:

:bow:

13. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I know, but I ordered a body lift so I dont have to :hack: . I want a BIG ASS street truck that is still able to do the local trails and mud bogs. I am even going to get it painted the factory midnight blue with white (t tone blue and white). I want it to look good. Thats what I really miss is being able to drive a truck instead of trailering everywhere. I want this truck to be able to pull a pair of jet skis to the lake, cruise Friday night, mud bog on Saturday, and then drive to work on Monday.

Rob

14. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

looking good ,wheres the wheeling at around Fayettenam.I live about 40 miles away in Rockingham

15. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

We go to URE, Devils Playground, and some other private land. We are planning a run to URE after they open. I will shot you a message when we go.

Rob