Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hey stephen, what do you think about...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by jekbrown, May 21, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

... using the top of a Avalanche Engineering rock ring (the eared model, like S. Fox has) as a mounting point for a traction bar system? I have been pondering the idea for a little while now and was wondering what problems there might be with that approach. If combating axle wrap with the big concern, it seems like this might work... maybe use some kind of shackle or telescoping (splined) tube that would let the suspension droop. Use 2 "bars", which would triangulate the force from the twisting axle out/forward to the frame where the bars would be mounted.

Anyway, dunno if I explained that very well... but I just thought I'd ask what ya thought before I invest too much time/effort into designing such a trac bar system.

J

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i read an article on axle wrap and it said that a single bar wont do very much good at all on the top of the diff , it will just pivot on that point .....er sumthing , made sense to me , ill see if ican find it if you want . my 10cents , my .02 is free /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. jekbrown

actually, I was thinking of running 2 bars off the top of the diff... they'd prolly be bent so when they'd mount to the frame, they'd be parallel to the line of the frame. I can see why having them spaced out more would be better... because if one wheel had traction and the other didn't, then the twist on the axle would be all wacky. I dunno... it just seems like the eared rock ring could be made to work. Don't peeps that run custome 4-link set ups in the rear locate the axle from the top of the diff sometimes?

J

4. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

yes but i think they also run some bars on the bottom also so that negates it .

5. jekbrown

I would think the bottom bars are needed more to locate the axle (no leaf springs to do it!) than they are to combat axle wrap... but again, I dunno...

J

6. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

go over to nor-cal big dawgs and check out where it says pics of crawlin70 truck. i had mo-offroad build me a single traction bar there is no way it will break. let me know what you think?

jeff

7. jekbrown

its kinda hard to see it in the pic. I can see where it mounts to the diff cover... any way you could snap one where I can see the whole bar, and maybe how it mounts to the frame? That'd be awesome. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif BTW, the real question is, how well does it work for controlling axle wrap?

J

8. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

9. jekbrown

whoa, thanks much for the link! I am actually going to be mocking up some trac bar systems for a structures class I have. I already built my rear suspension (for the most part) in full 3d on autoCAD... and will be able to try different stuff out on there. Anyway, thanks again!!

J

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

4 link systems use all 4 links to control wrap, they just work on wrap in the side plane. You have to have some separation in the links or they won't do anything. That's the problem with a single bar on the diff, it's very close to the leaf springs (which make up the other half of the "link system") and won't counter the wrap. The single ladder bar systems (MORE, Sam's, MOO, etc) work well but I'm not sure they handle the torque the best way. I'm more a fan of using the leafspring as part of the system (2 of the "bars") and using actual bars for the other part. Basically create a 4 bar using the leaf as 2 bars. This can let you mess a bit more with the squat characteristics of the rear suspension.
    I'd predict Jeff's MOO setup is going to put a LOT of lift on the rear of the truck. There's a lot to this......

11. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

as support for what Stephen's saying, notice what Sam's Heepee does in the acceleration and hill climb from the TTC videos...when he's on the gas the rear end stands way up.