Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Steve, are Tuff Countrys too soft?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by bigk, Dec 31, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Are 4 inch Tuff Country springs too soft and flexy for the road? If so, will Rancho 9000's help stiffen it up for the road and add flex for the trail? I want to have a stable ride on the road.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I just put on 6" TC Easy rides, Love them, i do need to reconnect the swaybar, but the ride is great, i have ES3000s and it has plenty of stability and control. But i guess we'll see if that changes when i do the rear suspension next weekend.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

3. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Do you still have your stock driveshafts? How's the vibration? Also, what are you doing for your rear suspension, springs, shackle flip or what?

Karl
    87 3/4 ton

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Right now i have a 6" rear spring, but am putting in the shackle flip with a 2" TC spring, greasables all around, HD Shackles up front, the whole works, my front drive shaft needs to be lengthened, but i'm also doing the doubler so i gotta do that anyway, my rear shaft is already a custom Cv shaft , but i didn't need to do much of anything to it in 93 when it was just lifted 4", the stock shafts worked fine.

Leland aka RaisedK5

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most!"
    "Are the voices in my head bothering you?

5. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have the 6" TC HD, and they are soft and ride great on the road. I even have the Disconnects for even more flex, but sometime i am too lazy to take put them back on and even then the ride is pretty good (does sway on turns.) the only mods to the driveline i have done is the Transfer case drop and shimmed the front ( i also have longer shackles in the front thats why i needed the shims). drive shafts are at stock length f/r but the front is at its limit. The rear is a custom shackle from Springer Suspensions but before i had this I had the ORD flip and had NO vibrations what so ever. I do have a pickup so the wheelbase is 10" longer than a K5. So with all that in mind i think a 4" would be even less work if you did have vibs

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye!

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It's hard to get too soft, that's more a matter of opinion than anything else actually. Most guys are pretty comfortable with the 4" EZ rides on the road. You probably will want the swaybar for best cornering, but overall they still drive pretty nice. My 5" springs had a lot of body roll in sweeping corners and took some getting used to, but they're a good bit softer than the TCI's.
    Good shocks definitely help in transient conditions. They won't prevent body roll, but they do slow it down which can make it more comfortable.
    Hope this helps

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

7. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. That's what great about this site.

Karl
    87 3/4 ton