Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Steve...CB Antenna Mount

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Aug 7, 2000.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I was checking out the small window sticker in the merchandise section and I noticed that you have a bumper mounted CB antenna. It looks like maybe a 5' or 6' whip antenna. I just got a 4' whip which I mounted on the right side of my rear bumper. I'm having trouble getting a good SWR reading. I think I need a longer antenna. How well does yours work? What kind of setup do you have? Thanks

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am running a 4' Wilson fiberglass whip mounted directly under my passenger side tailllight(about 2"'s above the bumper) and I have no problems. As long as you get some of you antenna bove the vehicle it will be fine.

Mine sticks up past the roof about 4inches or so.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Best place to get even coverage to mount an antenna would be the center of the steel roof panel. second best would be the center od the hood, 3rd would be 2 on both sides. Any time you mount the ant. on the corner ike the bumper the steel panel will interact with the ant. and phase it, or point it out from that point. in Emmettology case his best covrage is to the right rear. with almost no covrage to the left ft. have in the wipe up higher would help but at 11 meters and 4.5 watts the hole is big. By the way the shells are not seen by the antenna only the steel panel count!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My mount works just fine for me. I usually only use my CB when on trails or during a convoy to a trail. I have never had any problems with my set-up even a distances over a mile.

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Didn't mean to say anything bad about your set up my CB ant. mounted in much the same place , it even works all the time now that I replaced the mount and cleaned the ant ground at the mount. Now my 2 meter is mounted up front on the filler panel just behind the hood just like the am/fm ant. only on the right side.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Well, right now it really sucks, I have to check the groud first, one of my next mods is to install a roof/rack basket, at that point I will install one of those little antenna's similar to what the guy at allprooffroad.com runs on his 4-runner.

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

7. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Steve, What kind of roof rack are you looking at. I got a wilderness Rack with the floor, hi-lift and rain gutter ounts as well as lights front and rear. very pleased with its duribility and strength as well as lots of options (gas and water tanks, ax, shovel, tire, multi ax, and anything else you can think of) Just curious, would be glad to pass any info on to ya if needed.
    PS Also put on on my gf's Tahoe, worls great on her's too.

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

8. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

How did you ground your mount? I drilled a 1/2" hole in my bumper and placed the mount directly in that hole. Isn't that grounded? Or should I run a wire directly to my frame somewhere? I just put on my 4' whip on this weekend and I get ok reception around town, but I haven't tried it on the open road. I currently have an SWR around 2, which I guess is ok. I'm afraid of burning out my radio if I don't have the antenna mounted correctly.

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hopefully, I will be getting a Yakama "Load Warrior" for review here pretty soon.

Steve Fox
    90 3/4 ton K5
    [​IMG]

10. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Those are great racks, really like their looks but for my use the wilderness has better function. It can acept any Yamaka or Thule bike,canoe, or any other adaptors they offer as well as a crossbar. The few can-backs I have seen llok sweeeeeet with Yamaka racks though, good luck cannt wait to see it. Are you going with lights or any other attachments?

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com