Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hey steve frisbie

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Oct 8, 2001.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i'm look'n for those pics of your new rear shock cross member that you said would be posted on your site. WELL where are they. sorry just kidd'n but i got ants in my pants. i've got the ferd shock mounts for up front and am look'n for the rear member now thanks.

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Sorry about that. I spent the weekend designing and building of all things a truss for a 14 bolt! The truss and cover will add a stealthy 55 pounds to an already heavy axle. I have the crossmember done and will try to get photos up tonight or tomorrow along with the pricing. It looks to be a great setup than can be mounted to accommandate most axle configurations.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Look forward to seeing it. Will you be able to show 'where' it is to be mounted on the frame rails? My application has a fuel pump up there.........in fact, you can see where my pump is if you look at my site - click below. Give me your opinion if your mounts will work with my pump in that position.

Thanks.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

4. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Judging from the pictures it will work. The crossmember is somewhat user friendly it that it can be moved around front to rear depending on the lower shock mount location. Most often it will be just behind the elongated hole in the frame above the bumpstop bracket. I believe your pump is forward of that location, unfortunately mine is not. The most frequent clearance issues will be with the exhaust since they are usually routed around the existing shock locations which put it in the way of the new locations.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Now who would put a truss and cover on a 14 bolt - umm well here's mine: <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/rockring/rockringinstalled.jpg>http://coloradok5.com/rockring/rockringinstalled.jpg</a>

Avalanche is going to weld their ring gear protection on this one (didn't have at install time) and take down the bottom for me after I shave the 14 to match the bottom of the case.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

you brought it up.
    WHY?

7. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

what are you talking about?

--matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350 crate, 33's.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Roader</font color=red>

8. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

why would a 14bolt need more steel tacked to it?
    is the cover paper thin?

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

its no more paper thin than any other cover, but when you are dragging the damn thing over all sorts of rocks like a skid plate, (and they hang so low that they DO act like a skid plate) the lip of the cover tends to get grabbed and pulled back, possibly leaking fluid, etc......
    having it havier duty across the entire thing prevents it from getting bashed in by the more hardcore wheelers, and adding the ring prevents the cover tear-back i described above.

--matt

10. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

my dana has the heavy covers, guess i am lucky

11. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

12. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ok steve, this thing looks pretty baddass. What is the deal with bottom mounts? is that up to me to take care of?

--matt

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not to be rude, but don't imply that just because you bash your rear axle cover off the ground or rock crawl in general, that you're more of a hardcore 'wheeler than anyone else. I have dragged my rear axle many times in the mud. Mud is just more forgiving than rocks are. I guarentee I'm just as hardcore of a 'wheeler, just the surface that I run on is quite different.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

14. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

WHOA!! you took that way the wrong way man! im not implying that a rockcrawler is any more or less hardcore than a mudder at all! I have never rockcrawled in my life, living in eastern PA doesnt exactly lend itself to big rocks, as a matter of fact i do mostly mud when i wheel. Im just saying that a hardcore wheeler (of any type) is more likely to hang up and tear off his rear cover than a less hardcore wheeler. I for one am a less hard-core wheeler, who doesnt see toomuch action that will tear or smash my rearend cover, therefore I personally have less of a need for a diff-gaurd. I was simply explaining the function that a diff-gaurd has for someone who wheels in the more extreme types of terrain, namely Steve Fox and Steve Frisbie, both of whom made posts above. Now if you take that to mean that I'M saying because YOU dont do the same type of wheeling they do you are less of a wheeler, I cant control what you think. I (and most others, i think) know exactly what I meant. Have a nice day.

--matt

15. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

that's great can't wait till the wife give me some money. one ? though what about the fuel line that runs along the inside of the frame rail on the passenger side.

16. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The crossmember is only 3 inches tall at the ends which leaves about 1 1/2" above or below the bracket. There should be plenty of room for fuel lines, brake lines and wiring. They might have to be rerouted just slightly. To answer the question of the bottom mounts. They come with the kit. There are two versions a bolt on mount or a weld on mount. I had to put up that picture due to popular demand and did not have time to show the bottom mounts.

17. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I like the shock relocate bracket but the 14 bolt contraption is a little much, I would rather have a smaller weld on version like the Avalanche.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

18. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

gotcha steve. Thanks man, this thing looks sweet. now, the bolt on vs. weld-on bottom mounts, does one order one or the other when ordering, or does the weld-on bottoms come exclusively with the weld on x-member? because im thinking i would want the weld on bottoms with the bolt-on x-mamber, but im not sure if thats how you are working it.

--matt

19. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The crossmember is the same no matter what style of axle mounts you decide on. The Weld on brackets are considerably cheaper. The clamp on bracket is a 3 inch piece of heavy wall tubing that is machined to the exact size of the axle tube. It is then cut in half and an 1/8" is machined out of the cut. It is held together with 4 1/2" bolts. Once bolted in place it might as well be welded. This is the same clamping system I use on my trusses.

Steve, I agree that the Avalanche system is more stealth. I am trying to cater to people that do not have access to a welder and prefer the bolt on aspect.

20. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

shhhweeet