Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey SUB guys- Need your opinion

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by FWP, Aug 13, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

My Dad's looking at buying a 88 3/4 ton 2WD Sub, good interior, very little rust, fairly new paint, good interior, camper special with dual batteries, 160k some miles, motors still strong- no smoke. The guy is asking 3900. Is this a fair price? Thanks for any input!

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I bet he can get it for 3400, but otherwise yeah, its a good price.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4. BanksBurban

BanksBurban Registered Member

A guy at work has an 88 3/4 ton 4WD for sale for less than that and no ones touched it yet, so that sounds a bit high for a 2WD.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

hey fred, is this an AZ suburban or an out of state jobber? for price comparisons, I'll occasionaly look through the trader, although as often as not, people who advert in that want too incredibly much. how does this thing run/drive? at 160 K, the engine might still be allright, but what about the rest of the componentry onboard? how's the oil and tranny fluid look etc. if they're dirty, then one can assume the current owner isn't caring for it properly.

I do have to agree with the general consensus tho, 4K is an awful lot for an older vehicle, without 4wd in it.

-Rich

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah 4k is a lot for a 2wd, try 3k.

7. FWP

FWP CRS

OK /forums/images/icons/smile.gif , Thanks guys for the info! I'll let him know 2700-3K is more in the ballpark. Rich, this is a Kalifornia deal,...

8. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Kali deal? as long as it didn't live near the coast, or in far northern california, it should have the same cancer free properties as the arizona trucks... if it lived by the ocean, the inner pannels could have some serious rust that won't show until someday down the road when a door gets slamed too hard.

-Rich

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Good thought. I tell him to look for it if possible. Just found out today, It's got a 454 as well. I told my dad- Go for it- Can I have the motor/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the 454 adds to the value by a bit... good stuff there, but still dunno if it warrants 4700 or whatever dollars...

I've still got my spare 454 sittin in the desert, although I think I'm going to build that one up for my suburban. I might be selling the old C20 soon, as there are more and more systems failing on it... (rear springs = hosed, powersteering pump blew out after I finaly fixed it, brakes leave a lot to be desired for, body is rusty/cencerous and dented in various places, and needs new heads on the 454, since hte engine builders are jerks, and didn't get them rebuilt properly. ) I might just sell it off as a parts vehicle, although it'd only cost me about 800 to fix most the problems ( except ugly and rust)

who knows... if anything, I should rip the 454 out of it, and drop in the 350 from the K20 when I do the engine swap, and then sell it...
    -Rich

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

umm, or send the engine to a poor guy named grant in yuma who needs one...
    he hehehehe
    Grant

12. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

you don't want this 350... last oil change I did had noticeable bearing chips in it. its probably not got much longer in this life, but I figgure I should be able to drop it in the C20, and sell it with the warning of `the engines ancient, so racing it will probably implode it'

-Rich

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

true, but it is better than the ones i have that dont run.. he he. some day i will rebuild one...
    grant