Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Thumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Jul 14, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I visted your site and found out that you had custom made your soft top. I think it's pretty cool, even better than the Kaylines, etc.

So you got any fabrication plans for it? What's the cost in making one like that? Do you have any more pics of it (maybe one without the mudflaps - LOL just kidding)? Do you have any pic that shows how the rear rollbar is attached to the frame/body?

Thanks.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Hey there,
    I actually dont have any plans for it. When I bought the Jimmy, I knew I wanted a soft top, and I also really liked the way the Toyota 4Runners looked with the tops off. I measured my bar to the inside of the hardtop, had it bent at the local electrical shop, and welded it together. Its fastened to the fenderwells and the floor of the bed (ya ya I know its not a true rollbar but the wheeling I do its not a danger unless I really mess up! ) with some electrical couplings that bolt down and the pipe sits in and a set screw tightens down on the pipe. The whole bar is actually removable depending on what I need to haul etc. The bar is made from 2 1/2" galvanized electrical conduit. (way cheaper than exhaust pipe or steel tubing)
    When it came time to make the top, I took the truck to the sewing contractor and left it with him after describing to him what I wanted. It took him 2 days and cost about $400.00. I have quite a few pics of it, just need to scan some in, I can post a few on here tomorrow or the next day.

BTW, the #@$!^%@ military police on base here pulled me over again for the mudflaps not being installed (just got back from wheelin) so mow I am in a huge discussion with them about why they are hassling me and thier own trucks should have them as well! Its not very calm around here right now... [​IMG]

If you need any more info, let me know.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>