Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey Thunder and other computer savvy folks...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by XHitman396, Oct 25, 2006.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so i had the thread the other day about which anti-virus thingy to get, and i settled for the TrendMicro one.. well now my computer is running considerably worse than ever before.. i double clicked on the Internet Explorer shortcut on my desktop, and i counted to 51 before the damn thing came up fully. everything's like that, opening files, going to websites, everything.. so what the hell??? anybody know what i can do to get this thing running right again or how to tweak the settings, etc?? i restarted it and did all the updates and a scan: nothing.. sucks to pay $50 for something that works in the opposite way.. thanks for the help.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have the Trend Micro on mine and it works great. My wife installed it so I don't know all the details of it, but it fixed a lot of problems and is constantly upgrading and what not.

3. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

when was the last time you did some maintenance? Disk clean up, defrag etc? You scan not just for viruses, but for adware and the like. I use adaware and spybot for that. just a couple of quick ideas.

4. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I use freeware (spybot S&D, adaware, and zone alarm). I also use firefox instead of IE. Another good idea is to keep a ghost backup of your hard drive incase of complete failure. Back up the stuff u want to keep and the rest is toast.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Did you delete your Norton anti virus? You need to. You Should only have one scan engine running or there may be a software conflict and it will slow things down.
    Also as said above do some maint. Defragment, and do a disk cleanup.

BTW I really not that computer savvy. I stayed at a Holliday Inn last night.:D

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Try staying at the Holiday Inn Express. I hear that makes you even smarter :haha:

On that note, I'd do the following:
    - Go through programs on comuter and delete anything you don't need or use. This may include manufacturer installed program.
    - Run AV Program w/ updates
    - Complete Disk Cleanup
    - Complete Defrag
    - Run Adaware
    - Run Spybot

That about sums it up for me anyways. My work here is done...

7. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

i have no idea what 'defrag' or 'disc cleanup' means.. can someone please explain???

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I sent you a PM. Easier to 'splain over phone.