Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey y'all Christian types............

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Hey y\'all Christian types............

Did y'all know y'all were responsible for the Holocaust? Heck, even my total immerssion into WW2 history at one time did not reveal this fact, but I would like to thank Molly Ivins, that icon of why the liberal agenda is so right for the world, I came to a stark realization that yes, indeed Christians must be responsible the killing of 6 million Jews. It was not Adolf and the Kraut Boys of Berlin, that great band amongst bands responsible. Well anyway, here's the excerpt from here column this week just to add the insult to injury portion of this thread......
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Let's see -- where does that leave Christianity, the religion of peace and love, founded by the Prince of Peace? Among the more notable Christian crimes were the unbearably bloody Crusades, the Thirty Years' War, the Inquisition, innumerable pogroms, regular slaughter of Protestants, counter-slaughter by Protestants, genocide against Native Americans (featuring biological warfare), slavery, the Holocaust, ethnic cleansing, Northern Ireland … and the list goes on and on and on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Furthermore, I have received a comment link for the bastion of "All conservatives are evil" spouting rhetoric and would you expect anything less from me than to provide it for y'all. Please, refrain from the actual feelings you currently have for this person, she is just trying to enlighten us to the ways of the world and it's true history.
    Molly Ivins Comments

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Re: Hey y\'all Christian types............

Actually, I think writers have been responsible for far more...

3. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

It's too bad that horrible things were done in the name of Christianity. However, much has been said that for example Muslims are all bad because of a handful of very popular "extremists" (Bin Laden?). See what I mean? Extremist groups can take anything waaaaaaay out there and completely go off the deep end with it. Seems to me that in the Bible, Jesus taught us to be softhearted and kind to people, even to those who do us wrong. I haven't found anything to the contrary (although I'm no expert).

You could even compare it to the "Offroad types" having a label of being forest-trashing, beer-drinking idiots. It may be true of some, but certainly not all and a very bad representative of a group. Unfortunately, those are the ones who stand out the most.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Religion is the opiate of the masses. nothing more.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I just want to do where the hell she gets off accusing Christians of the Holocaust??

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

These things maybe commited in the name of Christianity but they are not Christian acts. Anyone who has truely accepted Jesus as their Savior and prayed to be saved would not do these things. As a Christian you are to live life in a Christlike mannor, and killing people by the thousands like those people did is not what it's about. Unfortunately these people thought it'd make it alright to kill if used Christianity as an excuse, so we have what have here today... people hiding behind something which is a good thing but being used as an "excuse" to do bad. Which is too bad because it's not what it's all about at all. Same goes for other religions like Islam for example. This religion is a peaceful one but some people use it as their excuse to kill and hate because they have some warped impression of it. Personally I think if you hate that badly then just say so. Suck it up and say hey I hate you because I hate you. Don't dish out hate and then say oh it's because God to me too hate you. Cuz that is bunk, God doesn't want that at all... quite the opposite...

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

She's un or mis-informed, or simply knows saying "Christian's" will be sensational.
    I'd bet she think's if you're not outspokenly Muslim, Buddhist, or Jewish, you're christian by default, therefore, Hitler must have been a Christian. Many of the things she claims are done by christians were actually done by versions of religions that don't exist anymore, I.E. the Catholics of the spanish inquisition, the english of the Crusades.
    I think there is political motivation behind it. She's a vendett-ist, firing away at Christians, knowing many christians are conservatives, or many conservatives associate themselves with Christianity.
    Her intent may actually be to attack Bush in a sly buildup sort of way, knowing he claims christian leaning...
    To say Christians were responsible for the Holocaust is absurd, though. Like me saying I invented the internet...

Dang, I'm almost near a long winded commentary about what I think of Christianity and how america views it...

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Exactly!

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Like me saying I invented the internet...

[/ QUOTE ]

We all know it was Al Gore who invented it though so you can't even pretend here at all... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

11. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It's so easy for non-believers to blame Christians for things or to point out even the little individual mistakes that are made. Being a Christian doesn't mean being perfect...after all, everyone's human. And we all know humans arent perfect.

I tend to view my beliefs on more of a personal basis...not necessarily adhering to all the "rules" or "guidlines" set up by institutions by groups of people. The way I see it though, here's how it all works out:

----------------Believe in God-------Don't Believe in God

Right-------Go to Heaven(good)----Cease to exist(neutral)

Wrong-------Cease to exist(neutral)----Go to Hell(bad)

It's hard to create a chart on here, but basically, the laws of chance have it that by believing in God and Jesus, the best that can happen if you are right is spending eternity in Heaven, and the worst thing that can happen is you are wrong and you cease to exist.

By not believing, the best thing that can happen is if you are right that there is no God, and you cease to exist. The worst that can happen is that you are wrong and God does exist, and you spend eternity in Hell.

By reason, one has a greater chance to benefit by believing than not believing.

Of course, this model only works assuming a non-believer has no other "religion" to adhere to.

Sorry to diverge from the subject so far. I wonder where I was going with this... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Good thing I have no religious affiliation... My only belief is that there's a God, and good actions take us to a better place.

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Do you ever read her? I swear she's got to be the biggest idiot allowed on a keyboard and getting paid for her opinions in the history of this country. She makes about as much sense as a football bat most of the time.

BTW, I read your unedited first reply to the thread...... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've never read anything by her before what you posted, I gave her 15 minutes of reading, though... I agree with you!!

BTW, I read your unedited first reply to the thread......

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

christian bashing started in the 1st century and has continued for the last 2000 years and christians will continue to be bashed, mocked, killed and otherwise fornicated with until jesus comes, religion has given christians a bad press, the lady should do some research before she opens her stinkin pie hole, just my 2 cents, ok

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

----------------Believe in God-------Don't Believe in God

Right-------Go to Heaven(good)----Cease to exist(neutral)

Wrong-------Cease to exist(neutral)----Go to Hell(bad)

It's hard to create a chart on here, but basically, the laws of chance have it that by believing in God and Jesus, the best that can happen if you are right is spending eternity in Heaven, and the worst thing that can happen is you are wrong and you cease to exist.

By not believing, the best thing that can happen is if you are right that there is no God, and you cease to exist. The worst that can happen is that you are wrong and God does exist, and you spend eternity in Hell.

[/ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> You make it sound as though faith is something that you can turn on and off. I basically think the same exact way as you, the difference is that I cannot force myself to beleive in God. LIke I said, faith is something that you feel in your heart, and no matter how often I went to Church, God never "spoke to me" and said that he was there. Maybe someday He will, but until then I am an agnostic, and live my life according to the Golden Rule. If that isn't enough to get me into heaven, then I don't want to be there.

Either way, I feel that organized religion is inherently corrupt.</font color>

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Either way, I feel that organized religion is inherently corrupt.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I feel the same way. I'm not agnostic, but organized religion has problems and just isn't my cup of tea.

18. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I didnt intend to sound like it can be turned off or on. Sorry, my descriptions are often flawed.

I went to church as a kid, off and on. Never really felt God there. I'm not a church go-er. That doesnt mean it's bad; if it works for you, then thats great, if not, then thats ok too. I never feel that God "speaks to me", like in a direct sense. When I was growing up, I believed there was a God, but didnt have any solid faith to back it up.

I feel like I have a better faith now. Living by the Golden Rule is excellent. That's how my dad was. He never was some deep religious type. But he was always caring, understanding, giving, loving and kind. These characteristics of the golden rule also happen to be characteristics of God and how he wants people to be. My dad did acknowledge God in his own way, and I believe I know where he is now.

You are absolutely correct, and I am glad that you might be open to hear God speak to you someday. I never did like how some "Christian" people would try to force others to believe, by telling them they were wrong, and that they would go to hell if they didnt change. In my opinion, thats what will make people turn away.

You do have to feel it in your heart to believe. You cant force it. It happened to me slowly over time. Now everytime I look at nature, trees, mountains, whatever...I think about how wonderful creation is and this is how God speaks to me. No sermons, no fancy prayers...I can talk to him whenever and wherever. Everytime I'm blasting through a mud pit or driving up a mountain road, I have the comfort knowing God is with me.

...ten years ago I'd have hated to hear me talk like this. Not that it's bad, but I just don't want to start sounding like one of those people trying to "sell" others on believing in God. Like you said, you have to feel it in your heart.

And I also agree, organized religion is corrupted, as are so many other things in the world.

Sorry for my long post...hope no one gets offended or thinks I'm psycho.

19. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

WOW! Quite the discussion on this in the chat room last night. Lots of opposing viewpoints. It was a good time, I thought. I also do not like people that try to force others to believe. Faith is a voluntary thing. If it were forced on people it would lose all meaning. People that try to push their views forcibly on others or refuse to listen to other points of view are the ones who make Christians appear narrow-minded and snobby. Same as the ones who disrespect land and litter give all off-roaders a bad name in the eyes of environmentalists. I have a very firm belief in God and trust that I'm going to Heaven. I don't, however, think doing good things will get you into Heaven. To get there, I believe you must repent and be saved. Salvation isn't something you can earn. If it were based on good works alone, we'd all be in serious trouble. Even Mother Teresa and Edith Bunker committed sins. I don't think life is a game of trying to do more good than bad. Salvation is a gift that none of us deserve but the Lord is kind enough to grant it to those of us who want it without asking for anything in return. I feel, however, that I should respect my gift by trying to live the way He wants me to. That doesn't mean I won't screw up. This post is in reply to nobody in particular, it just represents my views on the subject and sums up what side I took in the chat room. I don't mean this as an attack on anyone else's beliefs or lack thereof, and I hope all of us here treat this discussion with the care and respect it deserves. Thanks for reading /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jonathan

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well said!!
    I'm bummed that I missed the chat room...

I rarely go to church. But I agree with 75-k5 and mountianexplorer, God isn't something that needs to be forced on people.
    If I were asked to define what I believe and why, my answer would be that I believe God wrote the bible through inspired men, and every word of it is truly from God. All other works are from man and subject to error, therefore with an issue as important as faith, rendered unreliable altogether. This is not to raise the bible as holier than God, but I believe God has said all he wants us to know together in the Bible. If anyone knows me well enough from here, you know I can be very analytical and attempt to thoroughly investigate something I think is important. The bible has stood up and made more sense than anything I could throw at it. Even the alleged contradictions I've studied turn out to be very complex, and in the end lend credibility to the bible by how intricately they actually strengthen and not contradict.
    I also believe this because I've been given faith, and I've turned over my life to God. I have a terrible habit of not keeping Him in front of me often enough, but I know what I'm supposed to be doing and try everyday to do it... We are men, men are weak. No matter what, we'll never live up to what we're trying to, but God know this and doesn't hold it against us if we have faith and trust Him with it.

I dunno if anyone else got ticked off at my sig recently that lead to the very bible-leaning web page. I don't know how to "preach" well, and I want very badly to share the happiness God gives me, but I don't want to say it to anyone that doesn't want to hear it or isn't at all interested, so I set up an invitation, if you're interested let me know type-of-thing. Getting in someone's face with it is only a turn-off and leaves a bad taste in one's mouth that pre-judges the material in question.

There's a point of organized religion. What is "organized" religion?? If one were to answer "any form of worship of God by several people gathered together", wouldn't that be similar to saying "more than five black people standing on a street corner are planning a mugging"? Labelling all groups by the action of one is more or less racism. The group needs to be examined to see if they're practicing wht they preach, and what the roots of what they preach are and it's credibility. Too often, religious groups that make headlines aren't following what they claim to be, they hijack a name that will give them the image they want to portray. I think that's part of why people with beliefs similar to my own (like above) aren't that involved with churches. I've developed my beliefs from reading a book I've found to be solid as a rock, and by placing all my eggs in that basket. "Organized religion" is too often personified by a few people telling many others what they should be doing, and the followers not seeing the original source. Catholicism is a good example. How can it be that God who is perfect, needs to be second guessed by a man (the pope)?

I'm not regularly a bible thumper, and obviously from my regular comments on this board anyone can see I don't always act the way I should... But I believe the bible is the only truth, and "Christians" too often put more faith in something from man than the bible, something from God.