Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey..You 14bff HD cover builders..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JK5, Feb 5, 2004.

1. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why don't you guys put a drain plug/hole in the cover???

I'm planning-on putting one in mine..

GOOD or BAD idea??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've long wondered the samething. I installed a fill plug on mine when I modified my stocker, then I shaved so much that I needed a stronger cover.

3. JK5

On the bottom of my cover..
    I'm using 1/2" thick steel..
    so I can drill and tap...1/2" NPT..

And then use a hex style plug..like the fill plug..

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

GOOD IDEA: /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    -quick, easy, clean oil changes
    -different

BAD IDEA: /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif
    -never get all the oil/metal shavings out during changes
    -I don't know how much you change your diff oil, but since I don't do it too often, I like to look at the gears and inspect for wear/shavings when I change the oil
    -a gear-oil change wouldn't be fun without dropping a couple of bolts in your drain pan, getting RTV all over the place, and cursing when your cover doesn't seal in the oil after you're done

IMO, the bads out-weigh the goods. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not to me, being a off road only machine I will be checking my gear oil after every trip.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i dunno, I guess most figure that it'll add a little bit of extra time/$ to the total and therefore it isn't worth it when there is already a factory fill-hole. I mean look at Magtec covers. All kinds of fill holes and junk, they also cost like $8467985686476.99

j

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    not to me, being a off road only machine I will be checking my gear oil after every trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yes, I can see your point. If you do a lot of offroading in water/mud, it could be a great idea! After your trip, drain it out to see if any water got in, and if it looks good, just funnel it back in (or put in fresh stuff, I guess). But, if I noticed mine coming out with water in it, I'd probably want to drop the cover and take a look inside/get the last bit out from the bottom of the pumpkin.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats why I said only a fill plug. Its easier to use a cover fill than the one above the pinion.

9. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Easy there. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I have been putting drain plugs in my covers since day one! In about a week or so our new line of 14 bolt ff covers will be out. They will be powdercoated instead of paint. Be sure to take a look and give me a call. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    GOOD IDEA: /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    -quick, easy, clean oil changes
    -different

BAD IDEA: /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif
    -never get all the oil/metal shavings out during changes
    -I don't know how much you change your diff oil, but since I don't do it too often, I like to look at the gears and inspect for wear/shavings when I change the oil
    -a gear-oil change wouldn't be fun without dropping a couple of bolts in your drain pan, getting RTV all over the place, and cursing when your cover doesn't seal in the oil after you're done

IMO, the bads out-weigh the goods. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm tired of removing the cover..
    I had it off...4 times last year.. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

11. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Easy there. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I have been putting drain plugs in my covers since day one! In about a week or so our new line of 14 bolt ff covers will be out. They will be powdercoated instead of paint. Be sure to take a look and give me a call. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been a while since I've checked out your site.. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I goin'there now.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Forgiven /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifHere is a pic from our site with the drain plug visible on the bottom of both covers. The new covers with be a silver/black powdercoat finish.
    [​IMG]

13. JK5

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I like the bearing pre-load..that is AWSOME!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I will probably just put a drain plug in my diff instead. Drill a hole, use an NPT tap, and use an allen head plug.

15. JK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I will probably just put a drain plug in my diff instead. Drill a hole, use an NPT tap, and use an allen head plug.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...watch thred depth... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

on the MOO cover, what about the oil that sits lower than the drain plug? Isn't that where most of the tiny metal filings and junk that ya might find in gear oil settle? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

j

17. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thats why I said only a fill plug. Its easier to use a cover fill than the one above the pinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, thought you were talking about a drain plug since that's what the post is about.

18. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    on the MOO cover, what about the oil that sits lower than the drain plug? Isn't that where most of the tiny metal filings and junk that ya might find in gear oil settle? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

j

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was trying to say in my post...but I thought about it, and you really couldn't put a drain plug anywhere in the cover to get all of the shavings out (unless you fished a magnet in there or something and pulled them out). The only way to really do it is to take the cover off. I'm thinking the main advantage to the drain plug is for checking the gear oil to make sure it doesn't have water/mud in it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things come to mind as I reached the end of this thread.....

1. Water in Oil - OK, valid arguement...but doesn't oil FLOAT on water? Wouldn't that imply that removing a drain plug down low would let you see in a hurry whether WATER was coming out instead of OIL??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Metal Shavings - There's no easy way to get them all out even if you DO take the entire cover off. It's like an invisible murky bowl of grossness in the bottom (on a 14BFF at least!). Why not install a couple of those old hard drive actuator magnets on the back of the diff cover....down low somewhere??? In case you don't know....drive magnets are some of the CRAZIEST, STRONGEST magnets you'll ever find. They stick like crazy (so mounting should be simple! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif) and any metal particles floating or sloshing around in the "soup" would surely not escape the tractorbeam effects of those magnets!!!

Seems like a couple of good arguements if I do say so myself. BTW -> Any covers I build will have drain plugs in them. I'm much more inclined to do a gear oil swap/check if I can do it FAST!!

20. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Just a few clarifications. Most rear axles if properly set up, do not create a significant amount of shavings. If there are a large quantity my advice is to not take a very long trip from home /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif My dealings with axles and metal in the housing are usually related to a Gov lock setup. GM from the factory installs magnets in the gov lock rearends to catch the garbage created in the limited slip. Soooo, if a rear end is properly set up metal in the housing should be at a minimum. I always place a magnet in the bottom of my differentials just as insurance (you can find large quantities of the factory magnets at your local junk yard since gov lock axles seem to be a dime a dozen due to failure!) As far as the location of the drain plug in our covers, the ideal spot would be at the very bottom. This is an imposibility due to the location of the built in skid plates and by tucking them next to the skid plate they stay safe from rocks, etc... I personally find the drainplugs as a great addition, in order to quick change the fluid, especially after water crossings or playing in the snow.

Just an FYI to CK5 members we still offer a 10% discount on all our parts except for special order items. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif