Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hey you southern Missourians!

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by laketex, Feb 27, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking about taking a job transfer to southern Missori and had a few questions. I really want to get back to Texas, but this seems like a good opportunity with the company i'm already with...So I need to ask if the way of life is similar or what? Is this a conservative or liberal state? What about gun control? Do yall have concealed handgun licences? I know I'm going to be in the thick of wheeling with weekend trips easily accomplished to Hot Springs, Potowatamie, Poteau, Fulton, and Tellico. Disney and Joplin would be 30 miles away.

But what I'm worried about is quality of life otherwise. What is there to do in Springfield, which will be 70 miles away (besides bass pro shops)? Good camping? Good quality of life in Joplin? Good resturants, nightlife, ect? Not that we do the nightlife thing often anymore, but now and then... Anything else?

2. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Joplin has an ORV park and would not be far from Kan Rocks or Diz!

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

The concealed carry issue was just in the courts (it was passed and appealed on constitutional grounds). If I'm not mistaken the appeal was overturned last week. I believe the gun shops are already taking applications for the course required for the concealed carry permit in all but four counties (which don't have the available funds to issue the permits /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif).

4. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Can't speak for Southern MO, but as for quality of life, Mid-Missouri is a Chee-eeep place to live, having been here 18 months. There is some beautiful canoeing and camping in southern Missouri, which is all I've really seen of it.

From what I'm told southern MO is well, more "Southern" than the rest of the state. Around here it's fairly liberal, but it's a college town, so you'd expect that.

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Where are you looking to move? Go for it man, you'll be closer to us! I hung around Springfield a while back and its a nice area. Lots of stuff to do there.

Man, you will be close to the mecca of wheeling!

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Hate to see ya go buddy... but at least I'll have a place to sleep the night before any runs in Diz! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Did LP offer more green for working in MO? Will they let you do STRICTLY safety, or will there still be other stuff involved?

-Dan

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

the job is opening up in Neosho (sp?)...it's about 20 min south of joplin.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I haven't actually gotten an offer yet. My corp boss is checking on it for me. The plant is 2x the size of where i'm at now, so I'll prob just be safety/environmental...although I'd consider picking up HR also for a price. Their safety guy is retiring, and the HR guy quit a month ago...so both positions are potentially open. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Its been awhile since I have been down there, but if you like the Country life and not the big city life, you will love it down there.

10. rocknh2o

rocknh2o Registered Member

We would be glad to have you /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks for your input Chris...and got a few more questions.

More questions.

1. Are vehicle emissions required? How about vehicle inspections? Is it possible to get a rockbuggy licenced for mild street use, like Disney?

2. More questions about gun control. My wife reminded me that we want to live somewhere where you can legally shoot a trespasser on your own property and not go to prison over it like this communist state. I think she worries about living without me, cause she knows my stance on this issue. What does MO say?

3. A place to raise kids. Someday. Good values overall?

4. Traditionally Democrat or Republican?

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for your input Chris...and got a few more questions.

More questions.

1. Are vehicle emissions required? How about vehicle inspections? Is it possible to get a rockbuggy licenced for mild street use, like Disney?

2. More questions about gun control. My wife reminded me that we want to live somewhere where you can legally shoot a trespasser on your own property and not go to prison over it like this communist state. I think she worries about living without me, cause she knows my stance on this issue. What does MO say?

3. A place to raise kids. Someday. Good values overall?

4. Traditionally Democrat or Republican?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for the most part - that part of the country is pretty Liberal.