Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hheellpp!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dmanblazer, Apr 12, 2005.

1. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

My '79 K5's rearend (12 bolt) is making noise when I let off the throttle, even when I put it in neutral. It is a (getting louder & louder>) knock.

When I dropped the driveshaft I found that there is a 1/2" of slop in the pinion when I tried to rotate it.

I haven't messed with a rearend before and I'm thinking about rebuilding it myself, I built the engine so I know I can do this, but I may need a little input.

How long should it take?
    What are the major parts to be replaced?

I don't have alot of money, but I'd like to install a posi carrier, stay with the 3.73 gears, and if at all possible reuse my axelshafts.

Any suggestions guys?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If your up for a 800 mile drive I have some 3/4 tons I wanna get rid of

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Did you try tightening the pinion nut ? 12 bolts back off sometimes , one of mine did too . Luckily I caught it before it got bad . Worth a look if you want to save some money for now . Worse case is axle swap , but that isn't too bad either .