Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hi All, Newbie here (with pics...no nudes)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rogerwilco71, Oct 19, 2002.

1. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

Hi everyone, I've been reading and looking up posts, and there's a wealth of info here. Here's my question: What's a recommended locking hub?
    Here's my newer K5: '86 Rootbeer-brown Silverado, 35" SSR Swamper Radials w/ polished 15x10 modulars, 6" lift (with a echobit flip kit on order/ebay), Yakima, and a small oil leak.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of my old Blazer which had a 383stroker/crane roller rockers/crane .488/edel performer/gear-drive/hedman smog headers (which probably made no flipping difference in passing smog)etc etc...10" superlift 3" body lift, 42" super swampers, and a custom black truck conversion, and 3.73 gears(yes that's what I said) that played a pivotal role in cracking/busting the housing of a T350 when I mashed the gas /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (sitting at a stubborn red light at 4am after fighting with my girlfriend and being late for work!BTW wasn't intentionally going to run light, just lerching...for all you young drivers). I sold this Blazer a few years ago after getting numerous tickets for height, and I totally regret not just lowering it!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

very nice /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and welcome to the best chevy 4x4 site on the net /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif the best locking hubs are the warn premiams in my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nice rigs!! man tickets for height..that blows! welcome though.. and like mudhog said this sight is the best definetly!! also yea..i would go with the warn premeuims.. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Ditto on the Warn Premiums! And nice rigs! Welcome also!
    Bill

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Agree on the Warn's, Welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd go with the factory Spicer hubs. They are all steel with the plastic dial.

Warn hubs are made from pot metal which is softer than the steel hubs like the Spicers.

7. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Welcome to the family....alot of "bad sheep" here!Nice K/5!!!Hey Craig,break out the Saxzall.....I need bigger tires!!!Bad Mike,damn I'm bad!!

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

your blue blazer kinda makes me cry..looks just like a truck i could have bought over the summer but never got to..lol...but it was black..

9. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Welcome...I'm fairly new here...but this is the best fullsized chevy information whatever I've ever seen. Alot of cool ppl in here too!
    Warn Premium Hubs have always been my favorites...they never let me down at least! Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. rogerwilco71

Thanks everyone for your replies!
    Ya, I had the factory spicers on the Blue Blazer. I'm not an aficionado on hubs, but I guess it's indicative on wear rather than performance?
    I also had a problem with the rear window rolling only one way and I ended up bypassing the cut-off switch. Could this be harmful til I get the part? I usually stop the switch when it ends.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh ya, funny thing, I just thought of something after reading a post here about a stall converters. The Blue Blazer with it's respected HP only had a stock torq converter and use to 'bob' and lerch a little while at a stop in "drive"(didn't mention all the parts /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Another vote for Spicers...although you need three hands to install them. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

12. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

Welcome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifBTW nice trucks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifand I also run warn premiums

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Welcome, I'd go w/ the Spicers if you can find a set. They do suck to install the 1st time you install them, but after that they become mearly anoying. 2nd choice is the Warns, I had them on my old '78, much more user friendly, but less steel.

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Cool looking trucks dude! So theres lift laws in Cali.?
    I always see the biggest trucks there. It must suck! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You should move to the northern part of CA. we have no problems here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I like the warns for the 3/4 turn but spicers are stronger.
    Welcome to the nicest group of people on the net. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. rogerwilco71

Before that, I had 39.5 swampers and 8" superlift/3" body, and I seem to be okay. When I upgraded to 10" and longer shackle (fenders rub at Pismo) I got more 'looksies', but once I slapped on the 42's...bam! Seemed like I was trying to hide everywhere I drove to. Local Police always measured the headlights, and the CHP would stop me for mud flaps and frame hieght. After the third CHP stop, they started getting tuff with me and using terms like 'impound'
    You should've seen my blazer with 33" lower-me-cause-ticket tires Geese! I could roast the tires til the threads start flying- of course 2 chamber flowmasters sound AWESOME at a lower gear; one highlight of tiny tires/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Right on dude! Welcome aboard. Hey, Ifyour interested, Take a look see at the Nor-Cal Big Dawgs forum here on CK5. Check out some post ect ect......Maybe you'd like to join up? Always lookin for new wheelin buds in the club. We have members from as far north as Grass Valley/Nevada City, That would be me and BlazenHeart, to as far south as Fresno I think...Not sure if Fresno is further south or Hollister....Anyways, check it out! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Hey do you have any pictures of that truck conversion on your old blazer??? What did you use to do it? Thanks - Doug

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I run Warn Prem. for almost 10yrs now on the same set! I have had 0 issues with them!
    Have fun here.... /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

lemme go at it with the sawzawll.......
    warn premium hubs all the way.
    grant