Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hi amp alternator w/ stock battery

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scott87, Aug 22, 2002.

1. scott87

scott87 Registered Member

Any problems with using a hi amp alternator (say 140 amps) with relatively stock battery (around 700 cca)? I thought I read somewhere that if you upgrade your alternator you should upgrade the battery as well. The stock amp on mine is 94 amps, I think (94 A is what's stamped on the case). Any thoughts? I ask because a 94 A is about $150 here, and a Powermaster 140 A is right in that same range. Don't really need the extra amps, but for the same price, why not?

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

You won't have any problems what so ever. The alternator will only put out as much power as is demanded. I got my 140 amp powermaster from Kpanza (aka Keith). Shot him a PM and he should be able to save you a few bucks.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My only thoughts are, if its not broken, don't fix it, and secondly, if it is broken, a rebuild kit is about $15.

If you aren't running anything additional electrical load wise that requires it, I don't see any point in going way beyond what you need. Just my opinion of course! : )