Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hi back bucket seat replacement options/// 81 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by camiswelding, Jul 18, 2003.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

What are the best replacement seat options for my 81 K5. The original hi backs are worn out... need complete rebuilding and arent comfortable anyway.
    Are there any direct bolt in replacement seat makers out there? Maybe even some nice sport seats for my fat butt? J/k I DONT EAT DONUTS (even though the k5 is black and white)
    thanks
    cam

2. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Let me know what you figure out. I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine. I've considered recovering professionally, trying to do it myself with a kit from LMC, or just slapping some covers on. Mine are comfortable enough, but there is more bare foam than fabric on them at this point. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

about 6 months ago,i bought some new takeout seats from a 2002 chevy van,grey in color,from a place off eBay called truck and rv supply.i think they were 105 each.they have a cloth seating surface,they recline fully,but do not fold foreward.i dont have a console,so this dosent matter to me,but if you do,and need access to rear seats,they might not be for you.overall they are nice for the money.if you want a pic,email me.

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

5. camiswelding

steve.. they look nice and have the mounts all there but they dont look easy to enter/exit the truck... let me know how yours work..
    I couldnt easily figure out there catalog,, so Im not sure what they cost in extra wide extra tall...
    239 bucks for the mounts... but that does save a bit a fab work
    thanks
    cam

6. camiswelding

thanks.. there are not what i was thinking of,,
    cam

7. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

Cam...Go to the junkyards and see if they have any from '87 or up. They're comfy as hell and should be a direct bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Still wondering if 80's+ Firebird seats will bolt to K5 tracks.

Haven't had to try it myself, but I know GM was fairly consistent with the seat bracket to seat bolt pattern.

9. camiswelding

yep I knew about the later ones... cant find any anywhere...have all of you noticed parts "getting more expensive".... like a set of chinzy airpipes so I can be smog leagel for 30 bucks,,, or tail lens no longer being "in stock" at places like wal mart...
    are we beginning to drive "classics"
    My new daily driver jap crap xterra is great for what it is BUT I cant work on many things... pretty soon theyll be all sealed
    Love my old chevies
    I found a company that makes what appear to be nice replacement seats and are reasonable... we will see,,, Ill continue to look
    http://www.discountvantruck.com/truck/truckseat.htm
    cam

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I want 96 camaro seats

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I grabbed some seats from a '90 Blazer to put in my '85 Jimmy. The seat brackets are completely different and the floor mounting pattern is completely different.

Of course, the older high-backs are flip-forward passenger side, so they had bolts in the front and the big hook in the back. The later seats had the same floor bolt pattern passenger and driver.

I still like the later K5 seats because they recline, flip-forward and look "at-home" in a K5. I like it better too how the seating surface and the sides are cloth, with only a vinyl back, where the earlier seats were all vinyl, except for the seating surface.

I looked for replacement seats online for a long time, but everything is $500-$1200. I couldn't justify this when there was nothing wrong with my old seats. The big advantage as I see it, is that you can get the center console that doubles as a third seat.

12. Blue85

If you want Blue, I have a set in good condition.

13. camiswelding

thanks,, no blue.. truck is all black and white
    I think Im going the aftermarket route at 260 bucks for custom built ones... Ill let you all know if the money was worth it
    cam

14. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks,, no blue.. truck is all black and white
    I think Im going the aftermarket route at 260 bucks for custom built ones... Ill let you all know if the money was worth it
    cam

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you going for the customs?

15. camiswelding

Im going here
    Ivas the owner talked to me for a long time and i told him I wanted to use an extra heavy "ironcloth" with vinyl on the sides and back (had to use vinyl there as the cloth is too heavy to fold and sew) he was happy to give me what i wanted and didnt try to steer me to one of his off the self seats. He said they produce 100s of seat for the aftermarket industry. He also has a cool recaro like 3 split bench with heater and massagers and lumber stuff but I couldnt go for the 1000 bucks.... doubler has to come first then the ranger
    Ill post when I get them and let you know how they "really"are
    cam
    http://www.discountvantruck.com/truck/truckseat.htm
    theres the linky.... theyll make anyway you want

16. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I've heard they do great work... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. Blue85

[ QUOTE ]
    260 bucks for custom built ones

[/ QUOTE ]

You must mean $260 each. You are just replacing the two buckets then?

18. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i have seen and sat in some bestop or steel horse seats that they market for jeeps that were put into a k5 using the stock brackets on a 89, they felt good and are relatively cheap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. BADASSBLAZE

BADASSBLAZE Registered Member

I was thinking about using a set of Mastercraft seats in my old K5, but they are way too expensive. I'll most likely use the Universal Off Roader seats made by Corbeau in my next rig. They cost less than half of the price of the Mastercraft seats and are way comfortable, too.

20. camiswelding

Hey all... well I want to thank everyone for their continued additions to this post...
    we do lots of mods to our trucks and then forget to keep our bods happy with good seating.. At this point most of you who have 2nd generations have seen your seats wear...
    we can recover them but we still have the blazer seat.. its not the best for comfort and its poor for off roading

we can buy the beard seats... so far as I can tell they are one of the few companies that are making direct fit replacement brackets for the k5 ( so steve @ord may have been down this road)

we can swap in seats.. but after looking at the passenger seat tilt brackets modifications are for sure
    I had looked at the ones I spoke about earlier... they are 260.00 each but are better I think by far than the bestop jeep seat and proscat seat (wider bottom flat steel bracket and bracing to adapt to my existing or new mounts) I had the card out to buy them and then hesitated in a brief moment of cool reflection... maybe Ill take a second look at the beard seat but I want Steve @ORD to give us a test of his first

Lastly there is a post about swapping in a bench seat and I invited him over here to relay his trial and tribulations

You can buy it right/build it right the first time or one can waste their money never being happy

And lifes too short not to be happy /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    cam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif