Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hi flow cat's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Mar 5, 2005.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do hi-flow catalitic converters really work? Do they flow enough to make more power? Mine works fine and but I am wanting to run a 3" hi-flow cat and 3" flowmaster single exhaust on my 90 suburban. I don't want to spend the money on the cat if it's not worth it. Thanks for the help.

2. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

the stock exhaust has very low backpressure. And backpressure is needed to help the engine run properly. And some instances help function some emission devices.

If you want a lot more performance, i would look into removing the old stock exhaust manifolds and getting headers.

Theres a post not too long ago about a huge debate weather or not exhaust systems work. I can see if i can find it.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

backpressure is tricky because you can't just say this system has 3 psi of backpressure... it is constantly changing with the rpms.... at idle any stock system will have less the 1 psi.

4. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

i saw a two guys garage where they bent the tailpipe almost shut and got it up to 14 psi... sounded like a go cart. lol

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

if your going to the trouble of putting the flowmaster catback kit on, i'd go with a high flow cat at the same time. especially if your cat is a few years old. you can pick up a high flow for around 50bucks.

i think any exhaust upgrade on a stock engine will only produce minimal gains in performance. i've got good headers, cat, flowmaster and madrel bent exhaust, barely notice a difference if any. the main reason to do it is for better sound. in the near future i'll be putting in a stronger motor that will need to breathe better, so i had some justification in throwing all the exhaust upgrades at it. that and a cracked manifold to put the mods on the front burner.

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

And I just happen to have a hi flo hedman cat 3 inch... with 250 miles on it ... 50 and the ride...
    (I beg to difer with the other poster....you wont get a high quality hi flo cat for 50.00 anywhere)

cam

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i think i got mine for less than 50. it was from mudfrog. i forget the brand, but its the most common one i see around at the muffler shops. im sure they cost more if u get them thru a shop.

9. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status