Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HI-Lift Jack?'s 48" or 60"? Cast or steel?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rob 85K5, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

HI-Lift Jack?\'s 48\" or 60\"? Cast or steel?

My wife is getting me a Hi-Lift Jack for Valentine's day(last year was a screw gun--what a woman). Right now I have 2.5" lift with 33" tires and "probably" won't see more than a 4" lift and 35" tires.

Would the 48" jack be adequate? or invest a few more bucks for the extra coverage? I can't think of any disadvantages of the 60" over the 48".

Also, there is the cast jack and the cast/steel jack. Hi-Lift says there are no differences except that the cast jack may be more durable for the life of the jack.

What do you think? What did you buy? Any regrets?
    Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: HI-Lift Jack?\'s 48\" or 60\"? Cast or steel?

I would get the 60" Cast jack. I have a 6" lift(softride so it is similar to some 4" kits) and 35's.. I have the 48" cast/steel jack. I almot run out of room since I have been getting more flex with the 48incher.. Plus I bent the piece where the handle goes in trying to "winch" my Jimmy out one night.

If I were you, I would get the 60" Cast jack...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got the 60" "Deluxe" Hi LIft. It's about 20 years old and has never failed me. I first bought a 48", but it couldn't lift a rear tire off the ground on my '79 F-150 with a 4-inch lift and 35's. The jack would top out before the tire lifted. [​IMG] Took the 48" back and got a 60" instead. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: HI-Lift Jack?\'s 48" or 60"? Cast or steel?

I have to use my tree-saver to strap the axle if I want to get a tire off the ground. I hate it when the jack is near the top anyways, its just not as safe. My 48" will top out before the tire lifts, but the strap fixes that.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Definately go with the all cast one. I have a cast/stamped steel and have bent a couple of the stamped steel parts without even using it that hard.

[​IMG]

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would go with the cast 60 one i have the steel 48 one and i bent it the first time i used it[​IMG] i will be soon getting the cast 60 one myself

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]