Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hi-Lift jack & tree saver

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Jun 19, 2002.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

im gonna buy a 48" hi-Lift jack sometime but had a few questions. first, where would you place the lip of the jack on the truck? the k-5's bumper is curved and on top of that its chrome and i dun wanna scratch it, or am i even close to gettn this right. and i need a good STRONG tree saver, not the little 2 inchers, but at least 3 or 4 with 20.000lbs max, thanks for the help.

Brett

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

you can't use a highlift on thems crome bumpers it will bend the crap out of them. highlift does sell this hook thingy that attaches to the jack and hook to the bumper /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

For the tree saver try Master Pull .. I have one of theirs and it is beefy!

As for the Hi-lift, I agree, you dont want to use them on your stock bumper. YOu putting riock sliders on your ride? Those would be a good hi lift point!

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Do yourself a favor and skip the 48" and get the 60".The lip of the Hi-Lift goes on the bottom of the bumber/receiver hitch.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i agree, spend the extra money and get a 60". i got the 60" all cast (top of the line) and love it. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Hi-Lift = poor mans winch /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    I agree, the longer the better, if you are in a mud hole it is nice to be able to find a solid bottom with the jack. Don't worry about the stock bumpers, if you go offroad a lot they won't last. I picked up smittybilt's tube bumpers and they hold up great.

7. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so ya'll are tellin me im SOL with usin a hi-lift with stock bumpers unless i wanne rip em up? surely there's another way to change a flat on the trail wit 4" lift and 33" tires, im notta hard core rock crawlin SOB, mud is my game. and about the poor man's winch, get the automotive series of Cabela's and they gotta ratchet winch/lifter rated for 4 tons for 35 BUCKS!! aight thanx

Brett

8. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

You can jack off the stock bumpers if you use a 2x4 to spread the load across the bumper, there are no guarantees though, it will flex your bumper some, it should go back to normal shape when the load is off.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Ya need to change a flat when you have stock bumpers? Pull out the 8 ton bottle jacket and stick it under the axle. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif Don't carry a bottle jack? You should, when you break something in your axle it's a lot more stable to work on with a bottle jack under the axle than with it hangin' from a high lift jack. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

You just need to get this attachment for the jack and yes get the 60" and also carry a choker chain so you can chain your axle to your trucks frame.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif [​IMG]

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Your post didn't sound too good, " you can jack off the stock bumpers ". /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif But i think he knows what you meant.

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can always do what I am going to do, which is to weld a link of a chain to the frame and one to the axle so that you can attach a chain between the two so that the hi-lift doesn't have to lift all the suspension before lifting the axle off the ground.

13. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You can always do what I am going to do, which is to weld a link of a chain to the frame and one to the axle so that you can attach a chain between the two so that the hi-lift doesn't have to lift all the suspension before lifting the axle off the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now thats a great idea. Why didn't I think of that?!?! My truck actually fell over one time when I used the high lift because it was so high up. Stupid!!!Stupid!!!Stupid!!!
    I'm gonna go get the welder out right now and do that.

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I use my Hi-Lift on my stock bumpers w/out screwin 'em up. You just have to lift near where the bumper attaches to the frame

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Me too. The stock bumper holds up ok to the Hi-Lift. My '80 even has a notch near the bumper support that keeps the jack from sliding out. As far as the chain, you don't even need to weld. Just use a chain that can be hooked to itsself and chain the axle to the frame. It makes life a lot easier. The Hi-Lift is a good tool, but not the safest thing in the world. The stock jack makes a good jackstand if you put some wood under it.