Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hi Lift ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rambler, Jul 17, 2002.

1. rambler

rambler Registered Member

Hi Lift ??\'s

Looking at getting a hi-lift for the Jimmy(60" cast). Found a free shipping deal here. .
    but I have 2 questions ?'s
    1. Has anyone dealt with macromotive? I have never heard of them before. from all of the 4wp nightmares i have heard, just want to make sure these guys are alright.

2. Has anyone mounted a 60" hi'lift inside their rig? That's what im hoping to do, any tips would be appreciated.

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Re: Hi Lift ??\'s

I mounted a 60" Hi Lift just inside the tailgate of my pick up. I used the Hi Lift brand mounts (look like pyramids with a stud on top). I got tired of climbing into a muddy bed, now I can just drop the tailgate and it's real easy to reach.

3. rambler

Thanks for the info
    The mount must be the 4xrac - looks a lot sturdier than the other one.
    I never thought about putting it across the tailgate. Is it a pain when you need to get stuff in and out of the bed?

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Mine is not on the tailgate itself, it's on the bed floor as close to the tailgate as I could get it (without interferring with the tailgate closing). As far as loading and unloading the bed, I also have a fuel cell in the bed so I don't use it haul anything more than a shovel and tow straps - sorry, I can't be of any help there.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have a 48 inch. My truck ramps high 700's on a 25. Basicly I could put any tire on the hood of a Tarus and the other three would still be on the gorund. I only have to jack my truck up 5 inches to change tires. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    I'm going to make you work for the answer.
    http://coloradok5.com/packitup.shtml Read that.
    Now way in hell I would ever want to stand my truck on a 60 and take a tire off. WAY to dangerous!

6. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Most 4WPW stock them so you wouldnt have to order if yer close to one /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. rambler

Grim,
    I read your article before. I like the idea of chaining the axle to the frame to lift it off of the ground.
    I was also planning on using it as a poorman's winch like this and work on the ol biceps at the same time.
    I think you are right about the 60", might be a bit of overkill at this time, im gonna go with the 48".

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

My 60" is mounted on top of the inside passenger rear wheel well. Just under the bed-rail. My interior trim for the rear wheels has been removed as cardboard and water don't work well together... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I have been thinking about turning these "compartments into draws of some sort to hold all my junk.

Right now I have two straps of 1" metal band holding the jack in place using wing nuts. It really needs some rubber backing so the metal on metal contact will stop screaching on every little bump. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Before this spot, I was using the bottom of the bed, and under the rear seat. The big end was towards the gate, while the skinny top-end was at the rear seat passengers feet!

Good luck.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I maxed out a 48" jack on the FJ40 I had with stock springs and 32" tires. If you're high centered and it slopes away quick you're stuck. Had to find something to stick under the jack to get more lift. A 60" would have been better. As for changing tires etc. That's why I carry a bottle jack too. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I bought a tail gate net from macromotive. It was here in three days.. I have only had the one dealing with them.. But that was fast service..Dan /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. rambler

Oredered the jack and mount tonight, ended up going with the 48" for space and they didn't have the 60" in all cast.
    I guess macromotive used to be off-road unlimited. Called them with a question about my net order, really helpful folks.