Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hi, need help with rebuild of 82 Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82JimmyHS, Nov 1, 2005.

1. 82JimmyHS

82JimmyHS Registered Member

Hi All,

Unlike most of you, I am writing from a foreign land where there are not enough enthusiasts who can help me with my project, so I'd appreciate all your help.

I recently bought an 82 GMC Jimmy High Sierra. Though it seemed to be in good condition, when the mechanic first drove it in 4x4 mode the front and rear wheels turned are different rates!

To cut a long story short, I now have 8 bolt, 4.10 Dana 44 in the front and a GM 14 bolt on the rear (apologies if I am not using the right terminologies, I am a newbie). I have 35" BF Goodrich on 16 x 10 rims. The engine is a 5.7L carb (petrol). The transmission is TH350. The transmission packed in the last time we went for a desert drive and the mechanic is suggesting upgrading this to a heavy duty TH400

I have done some work to increase the height with some suspension work, but it is not satisfactory.

I want to start over and do a proper ground up re-build.

My intention is to have a good looking car for 75 to 80% commuting and the rest desert drive (no rock/ mud).

Appreciate if you can tell me what I have done right and wrong so far and how I should go about rebuilding my dream truck.

Rajesh

P.S I am ashamed to admit I don’t know much about the history and pedigree of the Jimmy/ Blazer (for example no idea why you all keep referring to K5) so appreciate if you can point me to any reference on this.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Welcome to CK5!

Believe it or not we have another CK5 member from UAE. His user name is Prossett...

http://coloradok5.com/forums/member.php?find=lastposter&t=153829

Well, this is an easy one...sort of. All GM trucks were given alpha-numeric designations that gives you the basic info about the truck. Most all of the 2WD truck are "C" trucks, and the 4WD trucks are "K" trucks. To differentiate between the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and one ton they add either a 10, 20 or 30 behind either the "C" or "K". Example: a K20 is a 3/4 ton 4x4. GMC used the "C" and "K" as well, but used 15, 25, and 35 to designate the 1/2, 3/4 and one tons. This mostly applies to the GM stuff up until '87...after '87 it gets a little weird.

The "K5" name was come up with because technically the Blazer (Jimmy) was not a truck in the traditional sense of the word. It was built on a truck platform though and shared a majority of components. the drivetrain and suspension was all 1/2 ton, but without a traditional bed the load capacity (due to the lack of room) was probably about 1/4 ton.

Most Blazers and Jimmy's had "K5" emblems on the front fenders.

A TH400 isn't a terrible idea, it certainly is quite strong. As for lift and otherwise I'd recomend spending some time reading old posts here. You'll soon enough get a feel for what most guys run and why. Not wheeling on sand more than once in my life I can't really say what the hot set-up would be.

Rene

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard! My 82 K5 sounds like it's built along the same lines as yours. I have the TH400 and it works fine. It doesn't have overdrive, but it doesn't do a lot of time on the highway. If you need any information concerning specifications from my vehicle, just ask.

4. 82JimmyHS

Thank you

Hi Rene,

Sorry :doah: for not coming back to you earlier & thank you :bow: for pointing me to prossett. being a newbie to GMCs it really helps to have someone to talk to locally and point things out and learn from.

We have already spoken to each other and plan on meeting up soon. Will keep you posted.

Thanks again
    Raj

5. tRustyK5

No trouble at all. Glad you found someone else local to you...that always makes it more fun. :smile1:

Rene

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You see that. Did you see what just happened?!?!?! That is the reason this place is so awesome. People from around the world are hooking up through this site, for the simple purpose of helping each other. Damn. It still amazes me that there is a world with people in it like this. This kinda stuff should be on the news. It really makes my day when I see things like this.
    Thanks CK5!!!!!!!!!

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Dubai, huh?

I was in Al Dahfra from July through September this year. I'll be back around April-ish for another couple months :)

8. 82JimmyHS

Hi Jagged,

Will you be in Dubai in April? Let me know and we can include you in one of our desert drives. the weather will be still very nice.

Hopefully I will have my Jimmy in shape by then.

Rajesh

9. 82JimmyHS

Yes! I was shocked to learn that there was someone in Dubai with an 83 Jummy (mine is an 82 jimmy) especially since I looked around for months for a jimmy and finally found this one burried deep in a garage!

Thank you every one at CK5 for all the replies and support, dont think you will ever fully appriciate the joy of belonging to a group like this unless you are stuck at the other end of the worl with a passion for 4x4 like we have but with no local help what so ever.

10. 82JimmyHS

Hi Smitty,

I am in the process of putting together all the specifications of my 82 Jimmy.

How do you get all the minute details of your vehicle? Do you follow any perticular check list? is there any web site you refer to know the exact engine, gear box, axile details?

11. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I think the most important source for specifications on your truck would be a factory shop manual. My 82 is a Chevrolet and I was able to find a manual on Ebay for around $25. This sight is also a great source for information. I've also been working on Chevrolets for over 35 years and there are a lot of tricks that have been picked up along the way.

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I'd love to go on a desert ride, but... I'd be there with the USAF, only allowed off base one day every month (and have a 10 PM curfew).

Desert ride sounds like a blast, but I doubt I'd be able to go :(

13. tRustyK5

There is a lot of good information on CK5 that isn't in the forums. Check the menu on the home page and click on 'Specifications'.

Here is 1982

http://coloradok5.com/specs.shtml#1982

Here is another info link you'll like. It's a brochure site one of the members here put together.

http://brochures.slosh.com/

Rene

14. 82JimmyHS

Thanks a ton Rene, as usual you are extremely resourceful :D

Today I got the renewal notice from my insurance firm (the registration is due for renewal in December). In it the following are specified:

Make : GMC
    Model : Jimmy 4.3 V6 4WD
    Year : 1982
    Engine # : N/A
    Chasis # : 1G5EK18D3CF512261
    Engine Capacity : 4,300

I will use the web site you have provided plus the information I can gather (like above) and try and build up a complete fact sheet about my car. Have you tried to put together such a fact sheet along with where to find the info (like the engine #) and what it means & where you can check them (I have come across such web sites for other cars where you can type in the engine/ chasis # and get detailed production information)

Regards
    Rajesh

15. 82JimmyHS

Our desert drives usually start at 09:00 and finish off by 16:00 leaving enough time to get in a city tour. Keep us posted of your trip plan.

16. 82JimmyHS

Thanks Smitty,

I am a bit of a perfectionalist when it comes to re-builds and will surely benefit from your experience, will call on you as and when required.

Regards

17. tRustyK5

Well, there is much more info that can be found. The VIN number will tell us a lot, including what motor it came with stock.

If the motor isn't stock you can pull the numbers off the block (right behind the alternator there is a machined surface with the block numbers stamped on it)

The numbers can be checked on www.mortec.com

Your insurance place seems to think the truck has a 4.3 V-6...

Rene

18. 82JimmyHS

Thanks again.

The insurance guys are probably wrong about the engine, will follow your instructions and try and find out. They might also be right as my Jimmy seems to have been put together from various cars !