Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hi New to K5's towing question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by randolphracing, Nov 25, 2002.

1. randolphracing

randolphracing Newbie

Hi New to K5\'s towing question

Hi everyone,

I am looking at purchasing a 1984 Blazer and would like to use it for towing purposes.

the truck has a hitch, but I am not sure if it has a tow package. It is a 350 automatic and a 4" lift kit.

I would like to pull a car and trailer with a combined weight of about 4500 lbs. The trailer is a double axle with trailer brakes and a lenght of 14 feet.

Should I be concerned because of the short wheelbase of the Blazer? I really prefer this type of vehicle over a pickup.

Does the lift kit effect towing capacity?

Thanks do much for your help.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: Hi New to K5\'s towing question

it can tow that much pretty esay. if you do a search there is a ton of info on this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It can do it but I would defently make sure you have a Class III or better hitch. Use a weight distributing hitch and a sway control for sure. I'm sure electric brakes are planned already.
    When you blow the 10 bolt rear axle look for a 14 Semi floater out of a Burb that had the HD towing package on a 1/2 ton. It should be a bolt in and still a 6 lug that will match the current wheel pattern.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With a good weight distributing hitch 5000-6000 lbs is OK with a Blazer. I've towed that much many times with my Jimmy when it had a 4" lift and 35's. Good trailer brakes are a must though!

If the Blazer has an automatic with overdrive (700R-4) install the largest stacked plate cooler available and never tow in overdrive.

For more info than you'll ever need do a search...

Rene

5. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    When you blow the 10 bolt rear axle

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the 10 bolt is not a good axle??? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Anyone that tows, this is a bit more general question, but I think it applies to K5's...

I've seen a few (more than one) K5's that have been totalled because the trailer they were towing was "caught" by the wind, and ended up with the K5 rolling numerous times, at what should be fairly low speeds. (45-65, based on angle of the hill)

Anyway, when its windy, and towing a travel traile (or anything with solid, high sides),is the short wheelbase a distinct disadvantage when the wind is strong and from the side, or is that something that you simply cannot control, no matter the wheelbase?

7. tRustyK5

That is weight versus the area being caught by the wind IMO. I've had some bad sway due to wind with our 21 foot travel trailer, but nothing that felt even close to flipping the trailer or truck. Our trailer is fairly low to the ground so that may help a little (not sure...)

Rene

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

When I had my 72 K5 I ran a lawn care bussiness. I learned real fast not to be hauling a$$ on the interstate around curves. I got a major case of the wiggle a$$ and almost lost it. Was used to pulling the trailer with a 78 C30 crew cab duelie (very long wheel base truck that was at stock hight.) First time I used the K5 (6" lift on 35" tires) was deffently a learning experence !!!!! LOL /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif