Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hi o/p alternator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I was just trying to find a listing in some of the catologue sites for a high output alternator but I cant seem to find one. What would a guy expect to pay for a 120 amp alt? Do they sell them at say... Pep Boys? Or Autozone? Does anyone have a part no. for a decent unit that would bolt on to a 350 block? I am travelling to New Orleans in late Jan and I am trying to make up my shopping list for the trip! I need one that can charge dual batts, and run an 8000 lb winch when the need arises.
    Thanks
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I have dual batteries and an 80 amp alt. It works fine. when you go searching for the high amp. alt, ask the counter person for a police package alt. then see if it fits. I had one on an 81 sub I had a while back.....js

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

To add to Rene's link, I have one of the 140 amp Wrangler alternators...........have had it for almost 3 years now. Not one problem out of it, puts out 75 amps at idle (tested it when we fired off the 406 last month) and can run the following at idle with no dimming - 2 - 130 watt Dick Cepek lights, 2 H4 80/130 watt headlights (on high), 200W Fosgate/Pioneer stereo AND AC. Satisfied me anyway, pricing is not cheap, but don't remember what I paid, somewhere around $200. They have a direct charge cable, by the way, a nice 2 gauge setup with inline fuse. Can't wait to put the dual batt setup on just for insurance.........but I trust the alternator and my Die Hard implicitly.

Someone here on ColoK5 said that there is a GM factory 140 amp alternator available for about $129. Don't remember who it was, maybe he will read this and help ya out.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Summit has a Powermaster 200amp alt for $379. Is that enough power for you? They also have 140amps and 100amps alternators.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I got a Powermaster alt from Summit last month. Its 140 amp and was under $150. It bolted right up and I can turn on my 2 ProComp 130 lights, at idle, and the voltmeter doesn't even change. Mine came with a test certificate and pulled 99 amps at idle and 151 max output. I also upgraded to 2 and 0 gauge welding cables and a redtop Optima.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I have a 100amp alt. it runs everything perfect and i had to do no mods. It is a regular gm style not the new cs style. It comes off an 86?84? oldsmobile cutlass with a v6. Nothing else your local parts guy can look it up in the book. Only cost $60 w/lyftime garauntee.

I also have an extra one if you want it or part#is p-7294-3 that is an Advance Auto Part # or sentry gold is N1-266

Good luck
    chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

8. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

try your local stereo shop too. DBLAZER could help with this one. Its been discussed on the Audio forum too. Alo look for ambulances at your local wrecking yard. Though underhood welding systems have H.O alt. and with a little foresight "nudge-nudge-wink-wink" you could justify the later "needed" expense of getting a welder that hooks up to it.

"Lord have mercy on my next thirty years"

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I got my 120amp from a local Autoelectric shop. They built it for me with the heavy duty bearings and brushes. Also a larger cooling fan all for 110 bucks! It keeps my dual Optimas charged.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I recently replaced the one in mine from a 66 to a 100amp from Murray's for 69.95

11. TheEmissary

TheEmissary Registered Member

Found a Delcotron 12SI from an 88 Cadillac Brougham (94 amp); the voltmeter now spikes close to the red line at 14+ volts.

The Emissary
    1981 K5 Blazer 4 x 4
    305 (LE9)/THM350C/NP208

Other vehicles:
    1975 Nova

12. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

its the cs130 is 105 amps, cs145 125 or 135 amps the cs130 is stock in most 87 and up GM trucks the cs145 is for the caddys. I also found the stock one in my 93 suburban is the cs145, 135amp one. The 105 amp cs130 should cost about 100.00 from your local autoparts guy.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

13. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

I've tried several hi-output alternators and the best (most reliable) have been the GM 140 amp police package units. I don't know the P/N offhand, but if I come across it I'll post it. Never tried Wrangler products before, but they look good.

14. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies. I called my local GM dealer concerning the police package alternator, and they didnt seem too keen on giving me the number at all. They kept saying that it probably wouldnt fit and that the stock unit should be good. They make me so mad. It seems like they wont sell me a part because it didnt come stock on the truck originally so its impossible to make it fit!
    Well, I will keep trying, but if anyone can come up with a number for some kind of a stock alternator (are those CS145 numbers GM? or another parts line?) that is higher than 100 or 120 amps, please post.
    Thanks again

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

15. Hobbes68

The P/N for the alternator I used is: 10463338. It's a Delco remanufactured CS144 alternator, 140 Amp output with fan and serpentine pulley. The application I ordered it for was a 1996 Caprice Police Package. If they give you a hard time (they shouldn't!), tell them you bought the car at auction. I don't remember what the cost was. The vehicle I installed it in was a 1987 Camaro with a TPI 350, not a Blazer or Jimmy. I had to use a different top bracket because this alt. is physically larger than my original one was (105 amp I think). If memory serves, the bracket I used was for a 1985 Camaro TPI. I also had to find a different rear bracket for the bottom pivot bolt because the police package Caprice had an automatic tensioner and the alternator wasn't adjustable. No idea what the bracket I used was from, but it was probably a standard pre-computer (late 60's to early 80's) 350 small block bracket because that's what most of the parts laying around my garage were for. I don't think there are too many styles of these brackets anyway -- maybe only two since GM's alternators only come in two housing sizes. You'll also need a larger belt most likely. Email me if you have any other questions. I hope this helps!

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think you will be able to use the same belt if the output of the alternator is in the same location, then just swap out the pullies.

90K5

17. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Fantastic! Thank you very much, they are getting a call first thing in the am. Of course they will probably want an arm and a leg for it up here in Canada, but I can take the number with me to La and pick one up there.

Thanks again

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

18. Hobbes68

Glad I could be of help!

19. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Try www.mralternator.com, I am getting a powder coated red 170 amp alternator for 169. They go higher on output but not a direct bolton.

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!