Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hi out put Alternator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by airbornesoldier327, Sep 2, 2005.

1. airbornesoldier327

airbornesoldier327 1/2 ton status

I know there are quite a few hi output alternator threads out there, but i couldnt find one that explained wether or not you had to fabricate brackets to install one. Is there a 140 amp or higher that you can buy and install without all the hassle of fabricating brackets and stuff like that. If so Can you let me know where i can pick one up? Thanks for the help guys
    chris

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

We are going to need a little more than that to help you out. Year, engine, type of alternator you have, serpentine or vbelt, how many amps you'd like. That would be a good start. Power Master makes decent alternators, but there are often better choices for less money.

4. airbornesoldier327

I cant believe i left out the most important stuff! :doah: Oh well here it goes
    1977 350 motor, v-belt, and i would like 140 amp alternator, dont know what kind is in there now though, ummm that shold be enough info to go off of, thanks for helpin.

5. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

you probably have the 10SI. This site has a lot of good info on what came in GM vehicles:
    http://www.extreme4wheelin.com/tech/alternators/tech.htm

If you want 140 amps I would look for a larger alternator like the 12SI or a CS144. The bigger case improves cooling. You can get a 140 amp 10SI which would be a drop in replacement, but it will run hotter probably shortening its life. If you can fab your own tensioning brackets then the 12SI and CS144 will fit in without too much work.

6. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Do a search on this subject. There is a lot of information and even Gm part numbers for the wire harness adapter. I have a 140 amp that is an application for the pontiac vans that has rear A/C. I had to relocate the upper bracket hole where is mounts onto the intake manifold. I also had to modify the lower backet that attaches to the head and the alternator. Relocate the hole as well. This was one of the best mods I have done cause I plow with this and use a lot of lights at the same time.
    Hope this helps.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I was interested in PowerMaster but the earliest Chevy I could find on their site was an 82. However, Summit lists PowerMaster alternators for earlier rigs. Wrangler Power Products makes them but boy are they expensive ( Clicky ). Anybody have any luck with the Summit alternators?

8. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

9. airbornesoldier327

i had my grandad check and i found out that i have a 10si, i checked that link that opfor gave me and im going to go ahead and order that one today. Well thanks for all the info guys!

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

11. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

I second the Powermaster Alt. Bolt in and POWERFUL.

12. Desert Rat

The link took me to a page with a bunch of stuff. Which exact model and that was for your 76 right? Which case style do we have? Tha part numbers I'm looking at are the PWM-57294 or the PWM-47294. One is black finish, one natural, both 140 amp.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i just tok my stock one to a quality builder and had it rebuilt to 140 amps.

he had it ready the next MORNING and at less cost then he said itwould be!!

14. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

It's the 10si case style and part # PWM-57294. The black one. And yes, it is in the '76. :D
    [​IMG]

15. ryoken

does anyone else seem to remember a thread a while back about that alternatorparts place that was linked being scumbags? i seem to remember a big thread on it, but i'm not certain if thats the same company....

16. Desert Rat

Oh good, I may order that one or the natural finish. The price isn't too bad compared to the $300 plus that Wrangler wants for theirs.

17. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I did a search on "Alternatorparts" and I didn't find anything. The Hi-amp alt that I bought was the 200 Amp one, however there was no documentation in the box that showed how it tested. I know that the Powemaster people send you a computer printout of the alt test so... I would like more information on the above quote..

Dan..

18. ryoken

i'm not trying to stir up sh*t... just trying to prevent someone from ordering from assholes...

i do remember a thread on it.. it may have been well over a year ago... i was hoping we'd get the "oh, that was me" or "no, that was this place"..

obviously you've been happy with em and like i said it may be another company, that site and name just rung a bell with me..

19. airbornesoldier327

:D well thanks for all the help guys, i ordered one off of summit racing, the 140amp power one that yalll were talking about, and i got it for only 149 shipped. so thats a steal! thanks for the help again