Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HI-PINION 9 INCH

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Apr 24, 2001.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

I THINK I MIGHT TRY THE HIGH PINION 9 INCH ROUT, I KNOW ITS A FORD PART BUT IT IS THE BEST THING FORD EVER MADE, HIGH GROUND CLEARANCE, LIGHT WEIGHT, NEAR AS STRONG AS A DANA 60, EASY AS HELL TO WORK ON, PLENTIFUL, AND MORE TRICK THAN A 14 BOLT. JUST THINK'IN OUT LOUD.

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Dont ya mean Yelling out loud? lol! (only use caps when making emphasis on something [​IMG] )

- SlyDog [​IMG][​IMG]

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The high pinion 9" uses a Ford 8.8" carrier. If you look it up that rear is almost an exact copy of a Chevy 12B. Also, if you are thinking of it as a replacement for a 14B I will assume you are thinking about using it in a rear position. If so, remember using the "Hi-pinion" or "reverse-cut" version drives the wrong side of the gears. This will weeken the setup even further.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

4. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

THANKS FOR THE GRAMMER LESSON, YOU MUST HAVE A 14BOLT--lol!

5. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

dont even put the ford 9-inch in the same catagory as the 12 bolt!

6. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

You're right a reverse cut 9" ford used in the rear is more like a 10 bolt. lol The ring gear is 8.8" and is being driven in the wrong direction. You'll spend a lot of money and have a lot of scrap metal. These work fine on light weight heeps. Why do you need a high pinion on a K5? I would agree that a standard rotation full floating, 35 spline, braced housing, improved pinion support, large axle bearings, nogular third member, 9" ford $$$ is as strong a Dana 60 but you must be joking comparing it to a 14 bolt FF.
    CB

7. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

hey azk5 dont get you paties in a not, where did you see a 9in compared strength wise to a 14 bolt? i know the 14 bolt ff is unmatched in strenght, that does'nt take much of a brain but here in co. i dont go out for a night of mail box baseball and mud bogg'in with 44 in gumbo mudders. i only run 35's and would rather sacrafice a little bit of overkill strenght for light weight and high ground clearance. i hate to break this to ya but chevrolet is'nt the only trucks that made some good parts. all im saying is chevy did'nt make anything between the 12bolt and the 14 bolt strength wise and thats a big gap, thats where the 9in sits. what do you mean "why would you put a hi-pinion on a k5" i would put a hi-pinion on any 4x4 if it was possible and drive line angles were a concern.

8. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

!990 K5,

9 inchers rock for the same reason 14-bolts kick-ars. The 3rd bearing on the nose of the pinion gear, the extra bearing prevents gear deflection under in-put load.Drag racers swear by them, they also like D60s. ( I have never seen a rail car with a 14-bolt- because of the weight and rotateing mass issues.)

But...The "high pinion" 9- inch assemblys from Currie, do not have that extra bearing. They use the 8.8" ring gear, that ring and pinion gear set is mounted up to a custom 3rd member to fit a 9-inch houseing. Soo... they do not have the same strength of the famous Ford 9-inchers.

Don't listen to me, thow. Try it out for yourself and let me know how it goes. I'am considering a reverse 60, a houseing that was designed to have a high-pinion, but not designed to be run in the rear, so it might end up to be "sixes".

Twiztid,

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 04/25/01 11:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

9. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

hey twiztid, it nice to hear from someone that knows what their talking about, the reason i wanted the hi-pinion is my driveline angle issues, i've played with the length on my shaft, rebuilt the rear end (12 bolt) balanced the shaft, shimed at different angles, got rid of the blocks and did a 5-1/2 in shackle flip, rebuilt the 241and tried tracion bars and i still have a vibration issue when i let off the gas, now i think im going to try to make a fixed yoke work off a ford or dodge, thats my last option. if that takes care of the problem, i won't have to go with a hi-pinion. then i could look for the rare 35 splined reg. rotation 9 in or, if i cant find that ill go with the dime-a-dozen 14 bolt ff. that dana 60 your talking about sounds pretty nice but i bet its lots of $$$$$$. let me know how it goes thx--j.c.

10. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I don't wear paties? and I wasn't mad that's why I put the "lol". I don't really think the 9" furd axle is the same as a 10 bolt. I drag raced for 12 years and I saw plenty of racers throw in a stock 9" furd only to see it break an axle. If you compare a 28 spline straight 9" furd axle to a tapered 12 bolt axle they are about the same in strength. Most 9" furds came with 28 spline axles. You did compare a 14 bolt to a 9" furd, you said you wanted a high pinion 9"furd instead of a 14 bolt like everyone else. When I said why would you run a high pinion on a K5, that's what I meant. A K5 is a longer wheelbase then heeps and such even with 2 transfercases you're going to have a 30"+ driveshaft, with a CV joint in the rear you don't need expensive weak high pinion axles.
    I'd like to see you put a high pinion 9" furd axle on your Blazer, I think it would be cool. When you do let everyone know how it works and if it's durable enough. I personally have a goal to never break why'll I'm wheelin' so testing out light duty equipment is not an option. Good luck!
    CB

11. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

JC have you tried rebalancing the tires? I've knocked my TSL's out of balance on a single trip. It was ibrating pretty hard at around 55mph, I took it to Discount Tire and they rebalanced for free and the vibration was gone.
    What vehicle did a 35 spline standard rotation 9" furd axle come in?
    CB

12. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

JC have you tried rebalancing the tires? I've knocked my TSL's out of balance on a single trip. It was vibrating pretty hard at around 55mph, I took it to Discount Tire and they rebalanced for free and the vibration was gone.
    What vehicle did a 35 spline standard rotation 9" furd axle come in?
    CB

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Slow down a little here. Like I said at first, the hi-pinion 9" is not realy a 9". It uses the the Ford 8.8" carrier and that axle is in exactly the catagory as the GM 12B. The specs are almost the same. Now if you want to talk about a built 35 spline (I thought the biggest stock size was 31 spline but I may be wrong on that) than no, the the 12B is not in the same class. But that is not what you asked about. Also using the hi-pinion in the back weekens the set up further by driving the coast side of the gears because the hi-pinion ring gears are made to be used in a front axle.
    GM did produce a mid-range axle the- SF14B. Less weight and more clearance than the FF14B, but more strength than the 1/2 ton axles (including the 9", D44, 8 3/4" & at least as good as the 9 1/4") in stock form.
    I wouldn't hesitate to run a stock 31 spline 9" from a Bronco/F150 in the rear. If I realy wanted a reverse rotation axle for the back I would go for a D60, though.
    With the lift you are running it shouldn't be too hard to fix your vibe problem. Do the usual; get the shaft checked out, new u-joints, operating angles of the u-joints. You can lower the case since the NP241 is part time, or get the fixed yoke and a CV shaft, ect.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>