Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hi pinion.......

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by hi pinion, Dec 19, 2003.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

hey everybody.....here we go... i have a stock 85 blazer,i have a hi pinion d 60 with 513s built by boyce and an arb.i also have a 14 bolt on the way.i like the looks of the 4 in flip (ord)..i want to run 38 in or 39.5 in tires with no trimming or minimal . what will clear these tires?in the rear i will install the flip,but what size spring will clear? for the front, i dont want to run a set a 10 springs and be done with it,i would probobly end up with a super stiff ride. what can be done here?extended shackles for the front mabey? any suggestions are welcome and the sky is the limit, so input please...........YOURS TRULY HI PINION /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif P.S. this truck will be given to my son,Jeremy Austin ,as for a 16th birthday present /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the front, extended shackles cause trouble and only give like an inch of lift. Dropping the spring hangers is the only option for big lift and not stiff front springs, well not the only option but the only one seems like up your alley. I'd say run, a Zero rate up front, 8" lift springs, and the ORD shackles, Give you a little more than 9.5" of lift with 8" springs.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

OK cool. what would be some other options?10 inch lift will fit 38s or 39.s?HP /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd think 38s would fit with 8" of lift. Other options are 3 and 4 link front suspensions but for a road driven vehicle its not a real option.

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Alright.i guess it all boils down to how soft of a spring i get for the front right?do they make a kit to drop the hangers? Im not ready for crossover steering just yet,ill wait for that.HP

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No one makes a drop hanger kit, it would have to be custom stuff.

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

ok, do you know of anyone who has done this?HP

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Some advice:
    Go ahead and trim the fenders, they're cheap to replace if you decide you don't want it trimmed and they allow a much lower ride height which creates a lot more stable and drivable vehicle.

Plan on a bit shorter suspension, based on trimming the fenders out. This makes your steering correction a lot easier and much more effective, along with leaving you with much better drivetrain angles, mostly for the rear driveshaft.

I'm not sure what tires you're looking to run but it sounds like you're going to want a decent radial tire which brings you to a 37" tire, or the PJ or swamper 38".

Consider a body lift, we're really fond of the 1", and that does help you out with tire clearance with pretty minor problems otherwise.

I hate to push a cookie cutter K5 but the one we worked on for David Kennedy at Petersen's 4WOR (ultimate adventure K5) would be a good one to copy. It worked really well as a street driver and was a nice offroad rig too.

My recipe for you? 6" suspension, 1" body lift, 37 or 38" tires and trim the fenders to fit. The crossover steering, axle gearing, etc is all a different subject but this would be my recommendation for the lift setup.

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifHP

10. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    YOURS TRULY HI PINION /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif P.S. this truck will be given to my son,Jeremy Austin ,as for a 16th birthday present /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice gift /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!

But based on my experiences w/ teenagers.... I'd recommend a rollcage /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...

Marv

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    YOURS TRULY HI PINION /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif P.S. this truck will be given to my son,Jeremy Austin ,as for a 16th birthday present /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice gift /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!

But based on my experiences w/ teenagers.... I'd recommend a rollcage /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...

Marv

[/ QUOTE ]
    Marv, he said SON.... not daughters...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Grant

PS, as for the subject at hand, i have to agree with both Stephen and Marv.
    Grant

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

thank you steven for your feed back its nice to talk with heavy hitters that know what there talking about.i will post pics when im done(whenever that may be)to show progress.Any information is always usefull.YOURS TRULY HI PINION /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif