Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hi quality hand transfer pump????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camiswelding, Apr 10, 2006.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Anyone know of a really hi quality hand transfer pump..
    something made out of metal.. replaceable seals.. hi transfer rate...

The plastic ones dont last.. the bulbs dont work.. the brass valve is lame... the hose in the mouth isnt good...

someone out there has to make a nice expedition pump for off roaders... in my case transferring fuel in/out my generator and my engine driven welder. even my tractor... I hate to leave fuel in there even using stabil

Ive searched... I cant find one...

anybody?????

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2006
  2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

3. camiswelding

randy... 1 1/4 inch hoses might be hard to easily snake into some tanks... past unleaded restrictors but if you get one I would be really interested in hearing how it works ith a ck5 torture test....
    It appears to be more suited to drum pumping,,,,

I have searched high and low and dont find anything that looks like it can withstand hard use and is rebuildable.... maybe in third world countries they just suck on the tube....

cam

4. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Can you use a lawn tractor battery and a cheap electric self priming fuel pump?

5. camiswelding

I want to go all manual.. bulletproof stuff...
    yes I can get hi quality 12v/24v /110v transfer pumps... but I want a manual one

Heres a link to the govt testing of them...interesting...

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/eng3046#71

I wonder what the military currently uses for manual pumps in the field... if anything

6. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

my buddy was a water pump off a 350 with a bit welded on it so u spin it with a drill and copper pipe on one end and a rubber house on the other seems to work fine

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ill se if i can get a manufactur for the pumps we use on our fuel bowsers they are a crank and we beat the crap out of them and they sit out in the sun and weather and laways work fine
    they use a 1/2 or 3/4hose

8. camiswelding

yeppers dale... military duty.. thats what i want...

water pump sounds interesting but MANUAL is best when there is no power and you dont have to move alot of fuel... more than 5 -10 gallons

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

it take about 5 min to transfer 20gallons of diesel with one of thses pumps

10. camiswelding

dale.. what do they look like... are they metal??? crank hanlde.. pump handle??

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

alll metal crank handle

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

13. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya those are pretty damn close to what we haven not exact but real close

15. camiswelding

no guys .. these are not what I mean... I can get what you showed me in stainless steel if I wanted,,, but you wouldnt put one of those in your trail box... plus they have huge bung adapters for 55 gal drums... and arent going to snake down a gen 2 gas tank...

maybe what I want isnt made... but I have to think somebody out there makes something better than the cheesy plastic ones that break and dont work

16. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I figureds what we'd have to do for our apps is get one with a small input snout (or just cut it), and glue/weld/braze/solder/thread and adapter on it that could accept a garden hose or smaller tube so we could snake it down into a gas tank. IIRC, the unleaded hole is about the same size as a garden hose, cause I had to cannibalize one to get gas out of a friends tank.

I think we have to engineer out own, cause there doesnt seem to be a big market for 'em

17. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

What about converting a power steering pump into a hand or drill operated pump. You could weld an adapter to the top of the canned ham style case for the intake and strip the spring and check ball out of the back to increase the flow. If you have the right parts laying around it wouldn't cost you anything either.

18. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

old pumps...

We had several hand crank pumps for 55 gallon drums at the boneyard..all went south fairly quickly except one old Lincoln brand one --we found it in the back of an old delivery van!..it was cast iron and very rugged...leaked at the shaft seals some though...we were still able to buy parts for it,and it was made in the early 60's!..

We tried making a lot of home brew pumps to empty the gas tanks of junkers people hadn't bothered to pull..we used a small block water pump,powered by a drill,but it caught fire and almost burnt the shop down when gas spilled ,and was ignited by the drill motor's brushes..:eek1: ..strike one!..

We wasted a day building one out of a power steering pump..couldn't use it,it had to be primed every time,it was a PITA..we used a hand crank to turn it...it did pump ok once it was primed,but we had second thoughts about the steel vanes in the pump,and what could happen if a spark was ever produced..best to use a brass impeller pump if possible,to avoid an explosion!.:eek1: strike 2!..

Then we robbed a water pump from a scrapped slide in truck camper...it was great,used 12V,had half inch I.D. hoses,and pumped 3 times faster that the trickle we were getting from a universal electric fuel pump we were using!..but it didn't like gasoline,I guess it softened whatever the impeller was made of,and it slowly came to a halt,and started humming and smoking!..:eek1: strike 3!..

We never got to try it,but we were planning on trying an oil home oil furnace pump for the hell of it...they are designed for fuel oil,so I'd say it would be safe with gas too (a lot safer than an old RV water pump anyway!)..but they put out 100 lbs pressure,to make the fine mist so the oil will burn..I assume if you took the nozzle out,and reduced the pressure somehow,they would make a decent fuel pump too...maybe an enclosed heater motor or radiator fan motor could power it..less danger of sparks!..

I've looked in lots of catologs,nobody makes a good affordable petrol pump that holds up for very long..most of them are plastic crap..iron ones are about extinct I guess..and 99% of all other pumps say "NOT FOR GASOLINE" on them...sigh..:crazy:

19. camiswelding

time to figure out how to build a real one,,,,
    I wont give up.. I posted this about a year ago and here I am again asking the same question.. so its my own laziness for not following up on this..

I cant believe people still suck on hoses... Ill keep looking

thanks everyone

cam