Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hi-steer and hydro assist

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CK5, Apr 1, 2002.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

For those that have asked, the hi-steer and hydro assist setup worked awesome out in Moab, really put it to the test and it is the real deal.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool! Glad to hear it worked out for ya!
    Hey did you get some good 'spoting' for Blazer Bash done?
    Break anything this time?
    Rock ON, see ya in a few months.....

3. CK5

I wanted to checkout the park but didn't get a chance, didn't break anything which was very nice because I had to drive it 300 miles back home.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

RogerDoger!
    No worries we will figure it out....
    Gald to hear the trip was good and without breakage!!!!

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Did you feel that the ram was exposed or vulnerable in any way? i.e. Did you have to choose lines and take precautions to avoid whacking it? I’m still leery of putting the ram down in that location. Leery enough that I’m considering abandoning high steer for a sleeved 1.75”x.375 tie rod in the stock location.

6. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

what do you mean? Im pretty sure steve's ram is tucked way up over the axle tube w/ the high steer?

7. BadDog

If you look at the pics he posted, the rock ram is on the top portion (about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up) of the Avalanche diff protector thingie. It is the lowest point on the steering and is in front of the diff. If a tire slipped off and you dropped down on (or ran into) a rock (the kind of thing that makes you want the diff/ring guard to start with) then the ram is exposed to potential damage. I guess it wouldn't matter much in choosing a line though, since you are generally interested in avoiding the "run into" case where possible, although I might be less inclined to choose a line where the tire *might* slip, dropping me at an inopportune time onto an unfortunate rock. My luck is notoriously bad (hence, my "title" of SOL, Hmmm, or maybe it's just my driving? Nah...) so I try to be overly cautious

8. CK5

Never hit it or gave it a thought, the ram is above the bottom of the springs so it's not to bad. I guess a rock in the right spot could hit it but then again a rock in the right spot could hit anythiny underneath. A skid plate could be built to protect it more, Tim also has his ram mounted there with no problems, time will tell if I hit it or not but for now I am very happy with the setup.

9. CK5

10. CK5

After the third day of wheeling hard the rock ring bolts were loose, so something to keep an eye on, (part of that could be because everything was new)Tim mounted his backwards from mine, he welded a brace off the axle and the ram to the tierod which is another option.

11. BadDog

Thanks for the info. Just a few more questions if you don't mind.

I know you switched to the smaller ram rather than the Chief from WTOR. Was it absolutely required? Do you think the chief (I already have one) could be made to work? Seems like it would but I haven’t had a chance to actually get under there and do a mock up. Also, did you notice any binding problems due to the out of line cylinder ends?

I was thinking of all sorts of options for mounting the cylinder to the axle but, never considered mounting the cylinder to the tie rod. Wouldn’t that cause potential problems with the pressure lines? To deal with turns and droop, they would need to be rather long wouldn’t they? I guess he uses a spring or something to keep them up out of harms way? I was already talking to Matt about extended arms but that was just to deal with suspension changes I’m planning, not the cylinder moving as well.

Anyway, as you know, the biggest problem is that there is no easy way to mount the cylinder up (roughly) parallel to tie rod without mounting it to the differential housing much as you did. Only other option is to build an over the top truss (like MOO does for the rear) but that opens up a whole other can of worms.

Good luck on the bolt issue, hopefully it will not be a chronic problem.

All these things dancing through my head every time I look at it is one reason I haven’t started the high steer cylinder mounting. Throwing it together in partial form for a quick outing also had a hand in the delay. I did get to take it out to Upper Ajax last Friday with Marv Springer, Rob(zilla), Matt(NoRulz), and some of the guys. It did really well I think for its first time out. Sure would have been nice to be able to turn better though. Like I said earlier, I may just mount it behind and above MOFO tie rod and call it good. Then, if it really presents a *real* verifiable problem (i.e. I break something) I can reexamine high steer later. Heck, by then I may be looking at full hydro anyway. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I loved my Hydro assist in Moab, too. Made all the differece on getting the right line. A little different feeling on the street, but not bad. It seemed to survive the 350 mile drive home OK (my brother broke his tranny and drove my truck home while I towed his). One of those things you don't fully appreciate untill you've tried it. I was messing around in my buddies Sami on Pritchet with no PS and 33 x 12.50s, man what a difference.

Pete

13. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

thats what i thought steve.

14. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Acouple more questions.

How do you get the ratio correct?
    If you now have two steering inputs, solid link and a hydo-cyl. How do you keep the system from binding?

It's not a Rock-Ram? Whos is it and why?

Thanks!

I'm all-over this hydo assist thing now! (post-Moab addventure)

15. CK5

The Chief is a big ram to mount in a small space so it was easier to just go with the 1-1/2" ram, but could be made to work I'm sure.
    The tie rod is were the ram should be mounted, not really a problem for the lines because the ram is on the same plane as the tie rod, when the axle droops so does the ram etc..
    Unless you have a 12" lift there is no room to mount the ram above the tierod with hi-steer.
    I know what you mean with issues, I didn't really see many hi-steer setups on full-sizes but wanted to see if I could make it work, believe me, there is not much room for it at all, but it does fit.
    As far as the bolts go, I will just add that to the list of things to check before each run like spring bolts and steering arm bolts etc, I could just slap some lock tight on them also. It was kind of a pain (trial and error) to get every thing to work together as good as it does now but if it was easy then everyone would have this setup.

16. CK5

Matt could prolly anwser this question better than I could but most of it lies in the flow and pressure of the PS pump, mine prolly has just a tad more flow than it needs because it was reworked for the 2" ram and I went with a 1-1/2" ram it just means the turning is a tad quicker.
    My ram is a Howe 1-1/2" unit, Matt (westtexasoffroad.com) said he is going to come out with a 1-1/2" ram with his kit so he would be the one to ask, he is the hydro assist God.

17. BadDog

Hmmm, earlier you said, <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Tim mounted his backwards from mine, he welded a brace off the axle and the ram to the tierod which is another option.

<hr></blockquote> I know that the ram goes to the tie rod (as opposed to the drag link as some have done). I took your earlier description to indicate that the ram rod was attached to the fixed bracket on the axle housing, and the cylinder, complete with hoses, was attached to the drag link. That's what I meant about hose length and movement, that is, the cylinder moving with the drag link. I'm probably not being too clear (or thinking too clear either) today, it's been a bad day... Maybe tomorrow...

Anyway, glad to hear it worked out. I may yet tackle the high steer with hydro assist...

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you experience any "Death Wobble" (if you were commuting to and from the trails), as that has been a big topic lately? You have a unique set-up so I was wondering if you have/had it and if it went away with all the changes you have made?

P.S. That is a sweet looking setup and it seems it performs just as well.

19. CK5

I didn't have any at all 300 miles to Moab 3 days of hard use then 300 miles home, but everything is new, ask me latter in the summer after things break in a little.

20. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys,
    The steering works completely together and will not bind or fight each other. The steering box is still used but is mainly used as a control servo for the ram. But it only diverts power as it's needed.
    And Steve, you won't ever have to worry about Death Wobble again. The ram will stop all of those problems. If you do ever get it again you need to pull over and bolt the ram back on because as long as it's on there is no way it will wobble.