Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hi-steer cross-over steering

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by CK5, Dec 16, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

May 19, 1999
    Do you or do you know of anyone who makes a hi-steer cross-over system for GM's like this one from allprooffroad? Seems like it would work on a Dana 60 pretty good.
    Also, do you think it would be easier to convert my 4x4 box to a 2x4 box, I have an extra one laying on my garage floor, so I could have the 2x4 shaft installed with no down time.

1990 K5 with stuff
  2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Sep 15, 2000
    Putting the tierod over the springs is possible on our GMs. You can run into some issues with clearance to the frame and leaf springs though. We'll probably work on a system as we work out the bugs in the regular xover. Technically speaking, it's not as nice a setup as running the draglink to the knuckle. Your draglink will end up a few inches shorter which translates to more bumpsteer. It's nice for the clearance though. I had good luck with moving my tierod over the knuckle arms. It really gets it up out of the way, and left it pretty close to the leaf springs, so it could not bend much before it hit the spring. I used it a few times and never hurt it.
    It's hard fitting all the stuff you need above the spring and the tierod can really complicate it in a shorter lift truck. That's part of the problem, a trail rig will usually run no more than about 6" of lift, and that doesn't leave much room to mess around. especially if you have a lot of vertical travel.