Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hi steer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudjunkie 82, Jun 28, 2004.

1. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was thinking about going to high steer since the tre hole is bad in my driver's side knuckle.Anyone here run it and what are the pros and con's with it. I heard that it puts alot of strain on the top of the knuckle?????

2. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I've got Skys highsteer arms. Very happy with them. Didnt consider when i ordered them that its a little harder to mount my hydro ram and with zero rates the tie rod and drag link get close. Other than that they are cool. I have though thought about selling the driver side arm and just putting in a bitchin tie rod. THat way I could move the axle further forward.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Doesn't the high steer offer you more protection for your ram, though?

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

it moves the tierod up above the axles for protection, but it puts leverage on the knuckles

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    it moves the tierod up above the axles for protection, but it puts leverage on the knuckles

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man, brain fart. I meant hydro ram. Although it's kinda a pain in the ass to mount the ram with a high steer setup and crossover, I think it will provide MUCH more protection.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

oh darn, I thought I was telling/teaching you something for once /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man, brain fart. I meant hydro ram. Although it's kinda a pain in the ass to mount the ram with a high steer setup and crossover, I think it will provide MUCH more protection.

[/ QUOTE ]
    With the ram on my old d44 behind the tie rod I never had any probs. But the tie rod was like 1.5" .250 or something to that affect. But there is the chance i could fall down on somethink /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Yup, lots of stress on the knuckle tops since ALL steering takes place there. More stress on the tie rod and ends since it's moved back farther. Possible interference problems with moving the axle forward.
    All in all, lots of people work with the tradeoffs though. It is nice having the tie rod totally out of the way, it makes driving by braille a lot more comfortable when you don't worry about anything but the axle tube.

We've got a pretty good member's deal on crossover and Highsteer kits in the member's discount forum so we can help you out either way.

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    It is nice having the tie rod totally out of the way, it makes driving by braille a lot more comfortable

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hey, your not talking about me are you? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif