Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hi-Steer!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Feb 10, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Ok, this was being discuss and bullied about a bit on the NCBD site.

Who has it, whose setup are you running, what did it cost you, and how hard was it to set up?

Inquiring minds want to know! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

doesnt steve have a whole write-up on his histeer install?

j

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

where?

4. jekbrown

lol! good point... dont see a write-up. I guess what I am thinking of is the message thread that steve had going... it seemed like that thread was around forever. He had issues with finding room for mounting his ram etc. pretty sure he had pics posted etc. Used the avalanche steering arms if I remember right. He could prolly recall everything better than me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif maybe a forum search would find that thread...

j

5. jekbrown

6. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

I run the Avalanche arms $93 x 2
    1" spacers for clearance ?
    Heims 5/8 $28 x 3
    Spacers and bolts (grade8) approx, $25
    WMS tie rod 1.25 cold rolled $75
    Wms drag link same as above $75

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Crawlin70: so yours ran about $500 bones. everything left for me is $500! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

By the end of the week I will have a behind the diff Hi-steer setup to show you guys. Have the arms now just got to get them installed and check everything out. So far all looks in line. Shock mounts will need to be relocated, but that will make them cool looking anyway. Axis inclination and Akerman is included in the design so I am expecting them to work very well and be the best of both worlds. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I have a Hi-steer setup now with the tie rod in front and everything either hits or rubs everything. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Butch, are you going to be selling that setup? I need to buy my steering setup pretty quick here and the only way that I would go hi-steer is if I can do a behind-the-knuckle tierod with hydro capability. </font color>

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Inquiring minds want to know!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for posting up this question zakk! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Butch- I am also intersted in this! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Ditto Butch--also interested in a setup like this. Was wanting to go hy-steer with the tie rod behind the knuckle, but haven't seen it on a fullsize GM anywere.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Butch, Im also interested in Hi Steer. Are you going to add cut-out capability to your shop?

13. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Yes I will be selling them. The prototypes are in and I have made a couple of changes in them. I will have them on my K-5 by weeks end and on Toby's early next week. We will put them through the paces and then make them available after making sure all is well.

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm quite interested in a setup like that too.....

I spoke with Dr. Watson at ORD, and was surprised that he was not overly-postive about highsteer in general. He had concerns about the geometry and if it could really be optimized in such a way that it wouldn't become a "trail only" vehicle afterwards....

I'll admit, I didn't follow much of this explanation of the "WHYS" that highsteer is problematic, but if you've got a setup that works, I'd love to get in line to try it.......it DOES have to work well on the street too, though!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am currently installing a high steer setup using stuff from Parts Mike.

The arms were about $100 each. They are a full 1" thick and come with new studs, king pin caps, and king pin internal spacers.

You also need a 2WD steering box. Got mine for $75 from a local yard. I also had WTO outfit it, but it is not a must for pure hi-steer/x-over.

With Parts Mike's setup, the tie rod runs high between the two arms. The drag link attaches not to the arms (as most) but to the tie rod itself. This is very similar to the setup that Ford ran stock on their rigs. This provides full range of motion on the tie rod/drag link end and has the same limits on the steering arm end as any other setup. Weak link in this could be where the drag link ties into the tie rod, but time will tell if that is an issue or not. The tie rod and drag link complete with ends and all from Parts Mike was $259.

Total invested in mine comes to $100x2 (arms) + $75 (box) + $50 (Superlift pitman) + $259 (tie rod/drag link) = $585.

I should have pics up of mine as soon as the tie rod and drag link come in. I expect them in the next couple of days.