Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hi-torque starter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Sep 3, 2006.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

My dad has a '60 Vette and its having the typical Chevy soleniod issue. We put a shield on it and it still won't start when its hot. What is the best type (price and quality) of hi-torque starter to get so the smaller body will keep it further away from the manifolds...plus have better starting power? I am also going to get one and put it on my truck. Thanks.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The summit ones seem to be a popular choice.... Think they run $150 to $200..

A remote start solenoid will help the most, but I'd start with the mini... Never hurts to have a badass starter under there..

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yeah, FURD style solenoid, works fantastic.

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Do the solenoid first. You most likely not need the mini starter once you do that unless your running extremely high compression.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not to be an argumentative d*ck or anything but your also adding a potentially failing component to a system...

I'm not objecting to it, heck, most boats I work on have multiple slave solenoids. But I do try to keep in mind that your adding more connections to fail, plus the solenoid itself... And with the quality of wiring work I see most people do, it's an issue sooner, rather than later...

Also I'll take a quality mini over a full size starter anyday.. high compression or not.. You couldn't kill the Tilton i had in my Chevelle...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006