Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HI_PION ,pluming help??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by boggerless, Jan 14, 2005.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

HOW EASY IS IT TO change the flange under a toilet???? thanks daryl the metal one. our toilet broke today and i had to replace it,but the flange only had one bolt. one bolt left anyway. help??!!

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I can help you if you want.
    Is the area where the bolt goes broken? (a pic would help).
    Most cast iron flanges are sealed down with Lead and Okum.
    The Okum is a oily rope that is twisted tight and packed in around the gap between the pipe and the flange. If it gets wet, it expands and seals the joint.
    Hot lead is then poured over the okum (about 3/4" thick and also packed with a tool to hold the flange & okum in place. This work does require some knowlegde and special tools to do. On the other hand, they make plastic replacement flanges that have a rubber seal on the inside and a ring or bolts to tighten up the seal around the pipe. To remove the old flange, you will need to dig out the lead and okum to free it from the pipe. If there is not lead ring around the pipe section, you may have what is called a No/hub flange. This type of flange is usually not used on a concrete floor because the band is at the bottom of the flange (unacessable from above) and you would have to make your flange hieght perfect during construction. It really depends on which flange you have and what type of connection they made with it.
    If one side is broken and you can drill and secure a lead anchor to the floor, you may not need to replace the flange at all. The main thing is that you have a secure flange bolted or screwed to the floor and solid bolts to tighten down the toilet. I hope this helps. A better description of exactly what you have would help me better determine what you need. If the flange is not broken, all you need is some new bolts.
    Dave :cool1:

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

What he said.:D Damn that was fast Dave:grin:

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Thay also make a repair flange to go OVER the old one ,( if one of the ears are broken on one side,and cant hold a closet bolt, like yours ) ,,,you basically just screw it to the floor,Through the wood,if you have a wood floor, over the old cast flange,and it gives the support a closet bolt needs to stay in place.If it is concrete floor, you will need to replace it.Jacob

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Also my name is HI PINION........ not HI-PION ,,,sounds like= high PEE ON:D

6. boggerless

first off sorry HI PINION,for spelling it wrong.:blush: and secondly thanks guys, i didn't know you were in plumbing STORM TROOPER. anyway the pipe sticks out of the floor about an inch.(it's a wood floor), and the flange has no visabal signs of any sealent at all. there are 4 bolts that apear to hold it down. i pulled them out but the flange is so rusted i'm afraid i'll brake the pipe trying to get it off. on the left side of the flange if your facing it, the groove where the closet bolt goes through is broke off. it was that way when i pulled off the old toilet. this used to be a rental house so it was rigged ,they even put a wax gasket under the flange:confused: thanks again daryl

7. Storm Trooper

Sounds like No-hub. Can you see any other drain lines around the house (basement or crawl space)? If the have metal bands on the connections, it's no-hub. If so, you might do what Hi Pinion said and just use the repair method, otherwise you will need to access it from underneath to replace it. That could mean cutting open some drywall or? Be aware that some of those repair flanges really make the drain opening small, which can cause the never ending toilet plugging sogga. Pics would still help.:)

8. boggerless

it's a crawl space. you can see were someone tried chipping at the flange and the pipe,it's been rusted for at least 10 years. the flange looks like it slides over the pipe. OH, I KNEW you ment uncle ted.:D the NUG is the coolest rep from this state. he used to live about an hour from me in JACKSON. he just moved next door to our president in TEXAS. WANG DANG SWEET POON TANG!!!!:D :D

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Dave here is the man. I would listen to what he says, hes got 20 more years under his belt, but im good too. The repair brace is the easyest way, because you just screw it down. But in the end replacing the flange is ultimatly the best way to go, either way glad to help,Truck to truck, later , Jacob

10. boggerless

thanks JACOB,and DAVE, i'll try the repair ,cuz we are gonna gut the house next year anyway.:D :D :D :D :waytogo: :waytogo:

11. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

12. boggerless

DAVE JACOB, thanks. i got a repare kit,$6,00 . it was a half moon shaped piece of steel with the holes to bolt it down and a slot for the closet bolt. well it worked wohoo. thanks again men.:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

No problem man. Helping people is what we do.;) Karma always comes around , if i need something, i usually always have some good help, because i help others. Its the circle.......must complete the circle. Later , Jacob:)

14. boggerless

your right JACOB what goes around comes around,good or bad.one time i needed $1000.00 in three days and i got a check from a credit card that said i over paid them $976.00.!?!?yeah,right.then i remembered i sent $14.00 dollars to a shelter(an ad i saw).about three weeks earlier.GOD is good.you sound like a cool guy.when i go see NEWYORKIN maybe i can find you also????:D :) :D

15. Storm Trooper

No problem, I never mind helping. Glad it worked.