Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hickey Sidewinder Winch?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Jun 9, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Anyone heard of one of these things? I aquired one a while back, it looks pretty old but it supposedly works. Any info anybody??

2. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    They arent the greatest, but they pull good enough if you can get them cheap. The problem is they are sideways behind your bumper. The cable spools up poorly on the drum due to gravity always wanting to pull the cable to the bottom. Lots of problems with pinched cable etc

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

That's kinda what I thought. Are they worth anything to try and sell it? Are they even around anymore. The number that was with a paper to it, I called and it is now a carpet place, but I dont know how long ago that number existed.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hickey went belly up ages ago. The Sidewinder was rated at 9,000 lbs. Their ad used to show a 69-72 K5 hanging from a branch of a giant oak tree by the winch cable. [​IMG] One neat thing about them was that they could be mounted between the frame rails, behind the front bumper, so they were "invisible" to thieves. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...