Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HID lighting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Nov 6, 2002.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

Are these the blue headlights I see on Euro made cars?

How weel do they work? Over-rated?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

HID is a complete headlight system. I don't know exactly how they work but I DO know that there is a lot of $$$ involved in converting to a HID system.

There are cheaper ways to get better lighting. The first option is to replace your generic sealed beams with some higher grade units. I believe Sylivania offers a "high-output" sealed beam headlight. There are other manufacturers that have similar products.

The best way to really brighten the road up at night is to get ahold of a Hella or Bosch halogen conversion kit. These kits upgrade your stock configuration to a lens/bulb setup. Basically, you install the lens and then plug a halogen bulb in from the back. If your bulb blows you simply replace it with a new one.

I have the Bosch kit in my 84 and I can honestly say that I have 200% better lighting at night. The lenses have an upper "cut-off" as well, so the extra brightness doesn't cause glare for oncoming drivers. I'm not kidding when I say that on a dark night I can see a very distinct line on the horizon where the light doesn't shine. You have to see it to believe it.

Hope this helps, brother!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

High Intensity Discharge (HID) Lamps are actually not a fillimate style of bulb. They are a chemical reaction of sorts. There is a ballast, inverter and a "bulb". A inital charge of around 25,000 volts is required to "set it off" which when first turned on takes a second to warm up. The lamp then will emitt a white, or here in the states a bluish tint light. The lamps will emitt around 55 wats of energy, yet only draw around half that. In other countries the light can be a yellow or a more pale blue than here.
    I've seen kits to convert to HID for between $500 & $800. But I've also seen them for about $2000.
    Depending on the purpose, well worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The best way to really brighten the road up at night is to get ahold of a Hella or Bosch halogen conversion kit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got a URL for that?
    -- Mike

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I replaced both of my headlamps with the cheap Halogen headlamps from Wagner, the ones you'll find in Walmart. It's part #H6024. EXCELLENT results. Very cheap. You won't cry when a branch breaks your expensive HELLA on a trail.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    . EXCELLENT results

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to be rude, but have you ever run a conversion system? I have a buddy with the fancy Extra-Vision(or something like that) sealed beam units and they perform pretty poorly compared to mine.

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I guess you're right. They are not even comparable to an HID conversion, but they are way better than the old 70s lamps in our trucks. My point was more about price/performance. I can buy about 160 Wagner lamps with $800, which is the price someone posted a long time ago for a round lamp kit.

Maybe I'm just stubborn. I don't know about the Bosch kit, but If it costs, say $120 (I'm only guessing here), I don't think there can be a significant difference between them and the Wagners to justify the cost. What I'm trying to say is that with my lamps I ended up as happy as you are with your kit, only I paid an insignificant amount compared to what you payed. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe someday we'll meet in a dark night /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and you'll be amazed when I show you the power of my /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif two Wagners. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Cost me about 100 shipped to my door. And that was with fancy blue/green lights for my 71 a few years back. Got them at Sportruck.com . I saw MUCH improvement w/ the conversion. HID would be the ultimate though.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm with Canmore. I run Hella Rally headlights in my Car. THEY ARE AWSOME! Cheaper than you think. About $45 a light so it's compairable to a decent set of aux lights but you get the gains all the time. My Hella's are simular to his Bosch. There is a dead straight line that almost no light goes above on low beams. on the right mine have a little swoosh of light that comes up at a angle to illuminate signs.
    I have the Sylvania hologens in my truck and no compairson to the Hella head lights I have. Now the moster Bosch Driving lights in the grill...Hell they are almost as bright as the Sylvania High beams.
    Hay Canmore. I have never seen a Bosch headlamp state side. Hella I can get all day long here. I went to Boschusa.com and they don't even list fog lights on that site. They may not be DOT approved here.