Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HID lights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tecton, May 31, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

do they make replacement lamps for 86k5 with single headlights?

2. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Yep .. I have Bosch lights, but look into Hella as well. I'm sure there are more, but those two pop into my head first

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Bosch has a kit for single headlight setups. It converts your sealed beam system to an H4 halogen system.

If you're really serious about going to full HID you'd better be erady to spend a whack of cash. The H4 system is like a poor man's HID.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The HID setups that I've seen cost around $500 PER BULB! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif :insert_little_smiley_passing_out: /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here's a link to some aftermarket kits: http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/prodinfo.htm

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

You can get HID bulbs for the same housings as the H4 conversions, no?

6. Can Can

Yeah, I think I read that somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that they aren't authentic HID bulbs. IIRC, a true HID system needs a fancy relay/inverter and wiring setup in order to produce the High Intensity light.

7. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

There has been a few post about this, if you do a search for "headlight relay" you should be able to find it. I did a conversion to CIBIE E spec headlamps with H4 bulbs and its the best daily driver mod i have done. I'll give you a link to a site with more info than you ever wanted to know about head lights. Just a word of caution i originally but in Hella H4 conversions with over wat bulbs, i kept blowing fuses and melted my plugs. so you have to upgrade your wires. i also found the Cibie's have a better beem pattern. You can find the lamps on ebay sometimes. Its not cheap per say but it will make driving at night enjoyable. If you have any questions ask. He is very good about answering any questions, but everything you need to know is on his web page.

Danial Stern Lighting
    http://lighting.mbz.org/

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    There has been a few post about this, if you do a search for "headlight relay" you should be able to find it. I did a conversion to CIBIE E spec headlamps with H4 bulbs and its the best daily driver mod i have done. I'll give you a link to a site with more info than you ever wanted to know about head lights. Just a word of caution i originally but in Hella H4 conversions with over wat bulbs, i kept blowing fuses and melted my plugs. so you have to upgrade your wires. i also found the Cibie's have a better beem pattern. You can find the lamps on ebay sometimes. Its not cheap per say but it will make driving at night enjoyable. If you have any questions ask. He is very good about answering any questions, but everything you need to know is on his web page.

Danial Stern Lighting
    http://lighting.mbz.org/

[/ QUOTE ]

On the Hella lights. There are two different H4 light sets. There are the "DOT" approved lights that are better then the Hologen sealed beams and legal.
    There is also some that are "For offroad use only" Those are awsome! I have them and have had them for 15years. When aimed properly the lowbeans are not a problem with other drivers. The high beams are devistating. I ram them with 90/100 watt bulbs. Incredible amount of light. Unfortunatly the higher watt lights don't last nearly as long as the standard 55/60 watt bulbs and the replacement bulds are about $15 verses $8.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Here's another page with more lighting info...
    Auto Optiks

I really like the "vehicle lookup" feature, you can find the P/N's for every bulb on your vehicle.

10. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i dotn mean the real hid...i want blue/white headlights

mine suck...and i cant get bulbs cause mine are sealed

i see them all the time in stores...but i dotn know what kind to get

11. Can Can

Like a bunch of us already said, forget about going with a fancy(yet still crappy) upgraded sealed beam and spend a couple extra bucks on the Bosch or Hella H4 conversion. It's well worth the money, TRUST ME!!!!

12. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

13. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

whoever wrote that is pretty paranoid /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i just want my lights to look blue/white...for the cleaner appearence

14. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I see the Auto Optik conversion is the only one available for the '91 mini quad style lights. I seen to remember that someone said they are worse than the stock lights. Anybody else have any opinions? I had the Hella h4 lights on my last truck, and i theink they were the best things in the world and i want them again!

15. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

For those that did the Helle H4 conversion..where did you buy the kits? prices?

16. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got mine from a local speed shop. I paid $100.

17. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well you can goto Autozone and pick up their RALLY brand replacement set ups, two big square lamps, and then you install new H4 bulbs in there, looks sweet, but then again 9$ a bulb isnt bad compared to 15$, but to each his own, i might convert over the summer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i got me some 16$ replacement lamps...super whites...love them...they light up the underneath of my engine and under the hood...looks really cool

19. Terminaltsi

Terminaltsi Registered Member

ok, go to www.nopi.com and order the Hella H4 replaxcements. they are around $40 ea. and include new H4 clear bulbs. at teh same time, you can also order some hyperwhite bulbs for them for that clean white look. these work great and give much better light than stock headlights.

P.S. i have a real HID conversion which i bought back in 99 for my Benz. this is the best headlight system you can get , and now they are cheap as hell ($300) for a set including bulbs and ballasts.

20. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

If you want real HID replacements check out: HID Replacements We run them in the race truck along with 6 Hella HID's on the light bar.