Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hid/lost ignition key

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by i8yrsuv, Aug 6, 2005.

1. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

I hid my ignition key in a good place so my kids could not find it . Well ,it was so good of a place that I cant find it too !!
    Is there any way to turn the ignition without the key ? I could call a lock smith and pay 100.00 bucks and not distroy the collum ???
    How about a master key availbilty ??
    Does anyone know if a "one key " set is availble ? ,I hate having 3 keys for one car !!!! :mad:

2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Take your vin number to a gm dealer. They should be able to make you a new key fairly quick. That is if you have the steering colum that corisponds to the vin.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

tkae the wheel off and change the tumbler out. easy to do with the tools.

4. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

Yep, what he said. I've done this two times before. Once for a broken key and once for...*ahem*...a similar reason to yours. Just need a steering wheel puller, some basic tools, and maybe half an hour. Last time I did it, the new tumbler was about $12 at the parts store.

5. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guys !!!! :D :bow:

6. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

dont forget a lock-plate remover tool. autozone should have one. otherwise it's a PITA

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no it is not a PITA it is really simple

all you need is a simple 15 dollar lockplate depressor tool from auto zone and such and a 15 dollar three slot pulley remover too and three bolts long enough to pull the wheel with the puller

after lockplate is off(hog ring around column shaft to remove) then loosen and move the turn signal switch assembly out of the way and pry the clip or remove the screw that holds the lock in the colummn housing and slide it out

some years used a clip and mose used a screw, most were torx bit head, some werent though its hit and miss really, all depends on year of column,

its not hard to do,

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

NO, you're both wrong, what you really need is one of those lockplate removal tools from Autozone and you're all set! :D

(Someone's gonna kick my @ss someday :p: )

Eric M.

9. 3rdshiftdesign

Thank you Eric M. :D

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

are u sure? im pretty sure you need a lockplate removal tool. :D

so by doing this, can you make it so the ignition key is the same as the doorlock and rear window key?

11. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't believe you can make the ignition key the same as the doors. I think they are different designs. Not using the same style blanks.

12. 3rdshiftdesign

My friends truck ignition key works on the door, he bought it like that... no clue how it was done though.

13. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Ok guys,
    I put an old key[wrong] in the ignition and turned it and broke the chrome twist key thingy off the colum .
    I went Harbor Frieght and picked up a 2-3 hole puller with all of the misc bolts that come with it ,I also got a lock plate depresser puller that attaches to the threads on the shaft and compresses the spring so you can remove the round clip. Well ,the depresser didnt fit oveer the steering wheel splines :doah: So I put the nut back on the shaft then put a pair of curved needlenose below the nut and used the heel of the needlenose pliers to push back the lock plate . Then I used a small screwdriver to pop the ring out of the groove and chased it up and around the shaft till it came off . :bow:
    I pulled the screw that holds the turn indicator ,then the 3 screw that holds the turn indicator assy to the coloum .I pulled the black torx that held the key cylinder in and pulled the cylinder out !!!
    I tryed to pull the cylinder a part to get to the pins .I thought I could regrind the pins to fit a old key that I have fron a old truck ...It was too much work ... :eek1:
    I can use the needlenose to start the truck now till I find better arangements ..

14. 3rdshiftdesign

$15 for a new tumbler....

15. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

My CUCV is like that ... uses a ROUND key for the ignition (as well, obviously, as the doors and the tailgate.) Weird, maybe it has a different style lock cylinder thing in the column?

-- A