Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hidden winch need some pictures

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k2-k5, Oct 17, 2004.

1. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

Looking to install a winch in the 1st gen. Someone (greg72??) had one tucked between their bumper and the engine crossmember and the cable came out thru the stock bumper where the license plate goes.

I'm looking for some pictures and parhaps a guideline of what would fit.

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    There's few pic's of my Warn 9000 tucked behind my factory bumper in THIS thread.

3. k2-k5

k2-k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks,

Nice job on that install. I have a lot to learn to get reducated on winches. Been years since I had one. The lever is for free spin and engaged correct? Say your stuck in deep mud up to your bumper. Is that lever easy to get to? Can you rotate the lever be removing the screws and turning the housing. Or internally is that impossible?

nice job.

4. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if that lever can be rotated or not.
    But if you can reach the winch cable you'd be able to dig a little and engage or disengage that lever.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was really interested in doing this on my k5 installing a winch behind the bumper, and making it almost not noticable.. but if you're stuck in mud up to your bumper, how can you see if all the cable is spooling up on one side?..

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

What's the typical use of a winch?
    You get stuck by yourself or with others to help you out,right?

Say your stuck by yourself.The typical distance to get unstuck is what...less than 30ft?
    Even if the cable isn't spooling up properly and is gathering at one end of the spool you'd prob. be unstuck by the time the winch binds up.

After your free you can respool the winch properly.

If you have others around,well they'll pull you out anyhow.

As far as seeing how the cable is laying down on the spool,even though it is behind my bumper I can still see the cable spooling up.
    It's not out in the open,I know, and maybe a "little" inconvenient to see how it spools up,but for the number of times I use it I think the "hidden" winch works for ME.

Ryan,you "use and abuse" that baby of yours and need a winch in a much more accessable area the me.

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like it works out alright.. I'd rather have a winch hidden behind my stock bumper like yours, than out in the open hanging off a huge custom bumper.
    I've studied the pics in your gallery.. and been thinking about copying how you mounted your winch.. do you think the way you mounted the plate and winch is sufficient for something like somewhat extreme sidepulls like we were watching chris 'beater' in the tank trap at blazerfest? Would you beef it up a little more if you knew you were gonna get crazy with your truck.?

I figure the only reason i need a winch is if I get stuck..
    I'm trying to decide between a winch or nitrous to get me unstuck... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Well...what Chris was doing at BlazerFest prob. would have caved in my stock bumper arrangement.

I guess the way you mount your winch is proportional to how extreme you wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you do something like me I'd reverse the mounting plate.
    Make it so that the pulling force of the cable is on the mounting plate and not the 4 mounting bolts like the way I have it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

you couls also run a sieries of levers to work the lever on the winch, drill and tap the lever on the winch and run somthing off of it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I drew a picture but it diddent turn out very well /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif