Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

HIEM joints/highsteer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jackedjimmy, Sep 16, 2002.

1. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry for the double post but....

At my new job, i can get built axles for my blazer for little $$$, which will speed up the process on the soon to come axle swap. I am planning getting a 14ff with 4.56r&p and a detroit rear and 8lug d44 with an open diff and 4.56s

I can get the 14ff for around $500 and the d44 for free minus gears and nuckles.

So i might as well do crossover at the same time right?
    One of the people i work with has a jeep with a GM drivetrain (ofcourse) and made his own steering using i think 1 1/4 inch solid tube drilled and tapped out for heim joints with regular threads one one end and reverse on the other. His draglink he also made out of the same stuff. His tierod is running over the springs via a custom spacer thinggy that is attached to his d44 ends, which allows it to go over the top.

What i want to do is basically copy this with a bent draglink and a tie rod over the top of the leaf springs. Anyone see any problems with this?

Sorry for the length.....Any info apreciated

2. jackedjimmy

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a sweet job with awesome deals - what company, what do you do?

About the crossover steering, from your description it sounds like the basic crossover setup. Correct me if I'm wrong. Go back to coloradok5.com's homepage and click on the "technical" link. There you'll find an awesome writeup of how a crossover steering setup was done. Sounds the same to me as what you described - only difference being tie-rod material/design.

4. jackedjimmy

Its called eastide cusom truck...Kirkland WA

We do basically anything automotive besides rebuilding trannys,axles. From just a basic tune up to a SFA swap and 1ton swap on a 94' chevy p/u