Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High-Amp Alternator Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, Dec 10, 2002.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Little background, I have a dual battery setup (HellRoaring), a 12,000 lbs winch, 4-hi-output aftermarket 100 watt headlights, stereo and I currently have a 105 amp factory alternator....
    As the subject says:
    How high amperage is high enough?
    Do I really need a 200 amp alternator?
    What are the benefits and or detriment to having one?
    Has anyone used this company? www.alternatorparts.com and specifically this duel rectifier alternator?
    [​IMG]

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Wow, and I thought my 100 amp 1-wire alt was plenty.
    I have heard that the big amperage alts only put out that much juice with high rpm and that at low rpm put out less than dinky 65 amp ones.
    I would guess that a 200 amp unit would only attenuate the low rpm charging.
    -- Mike

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Grimmy had a response to a post a while back that covered amperage at lower rpms. Might help to search his posts.

I just put in a 170, and according to Grim, might have gone with a particular brand that had higher amps at lower rpm. The details were in that post he made - maybe a month or 2 ago.

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reponses. I will do another search. Must have missed it the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Prolly be easier just to search Grim's posts instead of by subject.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Well, each light will suck around 8 amps of juice. Figure 100 watts/ 12 volts or so = about 8 amps. So the lights will suck around 32 amps. Sounds like you should be fine for general use. The winch can change everything. Depends on how much you use it. I run a dual battery with a 105 amp alternator and it works well for me. I can winch quite a bit before I have to take a break.

7. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

I run there 200 amp alt but not the dual rectifer model. I have 4 130 watt procomps 3 55w foglights and a HUGE stereo. my Orion HCCA 2100 can pull 150 amps just buy its self ( running 1 ohm mono killed 2 autozone alts with this thing in 2 days ). I put the 200 amp in and its worked good ever since. can run everything and keep the vots at 13.5 at my fuse box.