Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

high amp alternators

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike reeh, Apr 14, 2002.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

who runs a high output alternator and what do you think about it? I need a new one to round out my new engine. I was going to buy a stock 60-something amp but I thought hell I might as well buy a bigger one... where did you get it and how much did it cost? Im thinking about getting the 80-something amper.. no offroad lights, but possibly in the future...

mike

2. RockBurb

RockBurb 1/2 ton status

I have one of the PowerMaster 140 amp alternators from summit. I have a winch and two batteries, and for a while hadc 4 12's and a couple of amps. It worked wonderfully, and its still going strong. It only puts out 140 at like 4500 rpm though, and around 100 at idle. More then you need probably. Best think was it only cost me like a hundred and forty dollars.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I've been lookin at one of the 140 amp units. Summit has'em for like $159 I think. Also, I THINK you can rebuild your stock one with heavier duty stuff to upgrade to 140 amps. And I'm pretty sure you can get a 140 amper from GM. SOmeone correctme if I'm wrong.

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Thats the one I was refering too. The Power Master. Hmm, Ya like it eh? I might just have to get one. The one I have now can't handle a cold rainy night. With the defroster/heater, high beam headlights, windshiled wipers, and stereo with 600 watt amp, it just cant hang, chargin below 12 volts.

5. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

was it a bolt in and did you have to modify the wiring?

mike

6. RockBurb

RockBurb 1/2 ton status

Bolts right in, no modification required. I did however convert to one wire, and ran an aught gauge wire from it to my primary battery (fused of course.....).

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

so they come "non-one wire" for the rest of us?/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Powermaster makes a 100,140 and 200 amp alternator for just about every bolt in application. I run a 180 amp custom designed one in a large case GM and love it. Powermaster alternators go for 149.95 for a 140 amp alternator and 369.95 for the big large case 200 amp one

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Just as a side note but the wire directly from the alternator charging post to the positive post of the battery is one of the only wires that (isn;t fused) on most vehicles. The peaks tend to blow fuses and if you put a huge fuse in it then you are defeating the purpose of a fuse.

So it is best to make it as short as possible and (NO) fuse

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Delco-Ramey 170 new large case style, with Dual Rectifiers.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.alernatorparts.com>www.alernatorparts.com</a>

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I caught a 100amp special from Jegs for a 100 bucks. Works great, exact stock replacement (except for the chrome).

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

One thing that you could do is get a stock GM high output alternator. I pulled mine out of an '86 Chevy Corsica with air and electric fans and it is rated at 96 Amps. I believe that they also came with a 104 Amp version. The case is a little bit bigger but loosing up the top bracket fixes that. Just tighten it again when the belt is tight. You can also get new brushes and other replacement parts at any auto store. I've been running mine for years and it was cheap.

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I got a 180A model from a local starter/alternator shop. It is basically a stock GM rewound for higher amperage. Only problem is that is doens't put much out at idle. But, it reaches about 150A at only 1200 RPM and has full ouput at 2500 RPM. I have dual batts and 910W of lights and have never had a problem.

I also converted mine to single wire. Considering the amperage, it just made since. It is also in a black powder-coated case. I had to modify the bracket ever-so-slightly, but no big deal. Paid $140 for mine out the door.

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

After the last couple of years of lower priced/higher output alternators, I'm almost embarassed to say I have a www.wranglernw.com 135 amp alternator............paid around $250.........tho not really /forums/images/icons/blush.gif embarassed. It's a great unit that kicks out the juice from idle on up and has a 0 size direct charge cable.

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't know how this will work on our trucks, but http://tech.oldsgmail.com/echa_140a.html

Also, I think some of the later Camaro alternators were high amp units like this as well...that 3.8 unit looks pretty much the same as a SBC one though.

17. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I bought a stock GM off of a disiel its rated at a little over a 100 amp. The bad thing is it has the large case which I had to modify my brackets. Once I got over that it works great.I only have two off-road lights but I have a Ramsey 8,000 lb winch that get over loaded quite a bit. Hopefully one off these days I can get a biger winch for the front and move this one to the rear.

18. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

How easily can that be converted to a single wire?

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I really don't know, I'm not "up" on alternators much, at least not enough to know all the differences. Sorry!