Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High angle driveshafts - who to use??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ken, Oct 25, 2000.

1. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Alrighty then...I need a front high angle CV shaft for my 12" lifted 77 Sub. Who have you guys used?? And what did ya pay?? There is Gloeco (Arizona), High Angle in Paradise, CA, and probably a few others I don't know about. Who do you think I should use?

ken

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Are you thinking about a 80 degree CV $haft?

What's the current angle from you axle yoke to the t-case yoke?

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well, I DO NOT need the $650 80 degree shaft ($650, quoted by Arizona). I could use the one just under that (less angle), but I was quoted $750 from Arizona for that one (go figure???). I think I've settled on the high angle jobby and was quoted at $360 with 10" of slip, and max angle of 40 degrees. Since there ain't many rocks out in So Cal (OK, the Hammers, but ya gotta be stoopid to take a full sized Suburban with 12" lift out there!!!!), and I MUCH prefer sand running to grinding away at .5 MPH over a stinking chunk of granite, I think the 40 degreer will be just fine fer the dunes!!! I think my angle comes in at about 28 degrees right now (angle of the actual driveshaft tube in relation to the ground)...course then ya gotta add in the angles of the transfer output and front dana 60 yoke...maybe I will be in the 30 degree range? Ah heck, I'll just lower my transfer an inch or so to help out...who needs mondo clearance anyway, as I'll never see granite!!!

ken

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Yeah, those 80 degree units are expensive. I'm happy with High Angles 1350 CV shafts front and rear. Jesse will treat you right.

Shawn
    87 K5
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy

5. Jesse is a good man !! I was talking to him about doing a high angle shaft like Shawn has with less slip, but after looking it over I would be beating a dead horse. It would fix the angle problem on one end(T-Case end)and not the other(still the same u-joint you started with or a 1350) so I would still have to get my pinion cut loose and spun to fix the lower angle. The only way I saw to do it was to dual CV it and not sure I would want that for purchase and maintenance costs!!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

6. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Ken,
    I recommend you contact Jesse at High Angle Driveline and tell him what you typed at the top, he won't try to sell you something you don't need. He's an honest guy, trying to make an honest living. Here is his email forwhlr@saber.net.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com