Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Beam Indicator not Working...What's the Problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sdavid, Jul 31, 2003.

1. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

High Beam Indicator not Working...What\'s the Problem?

My high beam indicator is not working on my '87 Blazer, the little blue lights in the speedo. I took the dash apart, speedo out, and it was not the bulb. Put a new bulb in just to make sure and no workie. I put a test light to it and the socket is not getting any power. I can't find a fuse that is out, but I did not pull everyone of them. This is the only problem I am having and I can not get it inspected because of it. The switch on the column works correctly and my high beams come on and off with a click of the switch, but no little blue light? Is there one fuse that I am missing or what? Any help appreciated.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: High Beam Indicator not Working...What\'s the Problem?

Where did you test for power at the bulb? On the printed circuit?

The cluster has a big modular plug that hooks it up in one shot. See if you can follow the trace back from the bulb to the actual wires in the harness and check there. Also look for any scratches or cracks in the printed circuit.

Once you figure out what color of wire in the harness is the one for the bulb and see if it has power then look on the colum by the hinge for the peddles. In that area will be two switches that have linkages running up the colum. One is the ingnition and the other is the head light dimmer. See if you can find the same color wire down there. That plug might not be seated very well so check that.

3. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Re: High Beam Indicator not Working...What\'s the Problem?

Tested for power at the bulb socket. I haven't got into the printed circuit yet. I was hoping I would not have to. I will check the junctions on the column. I never found the color of the wire for that bulb, so I will have to check closer. I assume the ignition will be yellow, red,and black, so I can eliminate those. Thanks for the help.