Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Clearance Dual Case pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I finally got around to assembling my Dual Case setup. (its been nearly a year!) Should be going in next week. I had the NP203 range box rotated upside down and the NP205 up to flat, all for more clearance. It appears to save about 2.5" from the standard clocked NP205 up to flat setup.

Check it out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing I am looking for - does anyone have an NP205 laying around with an extra detent-ball cap? If you have one, PM me!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks pretty slick Neil!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

What is clocking the 205 up going to do the front driveline angles? I'd love the extra clearance but my front drivline is already kinda steep.

Rene

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

That does look great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I had been wondering the same thing as trusty on the driveline angle issue.

Stomper /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Is that going to require any extra modification to the floorboard? lloks like that 203 gear box sits up pretty high... Looks real though...I like it...

Chris

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Very cool. When might I see that thing on the street?

I have a brand new from GM detent ball cap in my toolbox, but it's needed for the broken one in my T-case (been there, done that). I can get you the part number if you like.

6. Mudzer

Driveline issue question: I am not sure about this yet, but There are several people on the boards here with the 2" up rotated ORD Doubler and have no problems with driveline issues. Mine is just the same roughly 2" up rotation. If anything, the added length of the NP203 box and the adaptor will help my front driveline issue. As in the rear, think of those guys with the old tried and true First Gen Doubler from ORD - much longer total length than mine and again, no driveline issues. I guess I will be the Guinea Pig! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Hole in the Floor issue: Yes, I will definately have a huge hole in the floor to contend with. The stock tranny tunnel can be removed for installation, then re-installed. I will build a box to bolt on over the NP203 range box. The shifters will be in the stock location (roughly). The NP203 will be operated with a PTO cable, then I have finished the twin stick modifications for the NP205 - having H-N-L for the front and H-N-L for the rear. H - Front and L - Rear cannot be engaged (nice theft deterrent, but didnt want it) at the same time. The useful thing about this mod will be using my cutting brakes and front wheel drive to turn around in its tracks! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

The truck is going in the shop this week and Motor/Tranny/Tcase is coming out and new Motor/Tranny/Tcase(s) going back in. Plan is to have a flat belly pan like Stephen Watson at ORD.

The only real issue I am concerned with at this point is being the only one with this setup having the NP203 rotated upside down. Since I drive mine to the trails and sometimes a lengthy amount (8 hours to Hot Springs this year), I may have issues with oiling the idler gear in the NP203 range box. It was normally submerged in gear lube and now will rely on oil sling. Of course, I am upping the gear lube level to just above the bottom of the inspection plate cover. Again, this is flying by the seat of my pants - not sure if it will puke fluid out the vent tube.

Speaking of the Vent Tube on the NP203 range box - I drilled and tapped it on the case, where there is space between the two gear surfaces on the idler. I heard, this helps to keep the oil puke down to a minimum.

All this to save 2.5" in breakover angle! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Where did you get that kit? And how much was it?

8. Mudzer

9. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

This is what Steve Sharp's 203 inverted and 205 flat looks like from the cabin view.

[​IMG]

Neil's gonna mount a drink holder to the now "top" of the 203 adaptor for our trail mix.

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

What is going to help that front driveshaft is the extra length that will be added to it. The case should only be clocked up 2", so the extra length in the driveshaft should help out a little bit.

11. Mudzer

'tis time to install this weekend. Woo Hoo! Anybody have pics of their twinstick or tri-stick setup?

12. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Goto www.echobit.com they have a twinstick kit forsale.Or check the chevy board at Pirates.They have a thread on twinsticks right now with pics.

13. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Neil, I have a doubler that is clocked up above the rail bottoms. The 203 is clocked 90 degrees and the 205 is clocked flat across so that everything is about 2" above the bottom of the frame rails. There are a few pictures in the link "Cool Stuff" below and I think the album is "Drive Line & Engine" if I remember correctly. By the way, I just have not had time to get back to you about sponsoring your coming event. I will try to get back on that this next week.

14. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

perty slick set up there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If your outputs are level, which they will have to be to get the belly flat and still maintain some down angle on the overall drivetrain AND get a flat belly.....get ready for a really expensive front driveshaft. Knowing my front suspension has a lot of droop travel, I HAD to have the high pinion front end and I designed the suspension linkage around the front driveshaft, which was a 30 degree 1350 CV that we ground to make 34-36*.
    This is not a mod for the faint of heart, a flat belly pan is cool but you definitely work for it and honestly I haven't hit mine much so I don't think hanging another 2" down would hurt too much. Of course now I'm dropping the suspension to lower the CG since the corners are all getting cut off and it's nice to have the flat belly but with a 5" or so lift height and 42's it's hard to hit the belly pan no matter where it hangs.

16. Stephen

Oh yeah, just use the ball cap from your 203 chain case, they should be the same.

17. Mudzer

I have a question. If my truck sits on 6" of lift right now. The NP205 is rotated up to flat which is roughly 2" up. If this is the case, would my driveline angles be similar to a truck with 8" of lift? Does this make any sense? And, what do the 8" lift guys do about driveshaft angles?

Another thought - What about other people who have the Doubler with 2" up rotated NP205, how would their situation be different than mine? Meaning, the NP203 box and adaptor on my setup is the reason I can use the flat belly pan. I believe I will not be changing the crank centerline any at all so my NP205 will be the same as any clocked NP205.

If anyone knows about the issues with this setup - Watson should be the man though. I sure hope I didn't get in over my head here! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

18. Mudzer

Bill, Is your setup an ORD Gen2 Doubler? Looks pretty slick. I like the mounts. How much lift you planning on running, and what will your driveline issues be like?

19. Stephen

I know we talked about this but just for the record, it looks like your 205 is twisted up about 2" more than our "JJ" rotation and that's where the problem comes in. With our twisted up version the bottom of the 205 is level with the bottom of the 203 so it's still about 8-8.5" below the centerline. Yours looks to be about 6" or so below the centerline.

20. Mudzer

[ QUOTE ]
    I know we talked about this but just for the record, it looks like your 205 is twisted up about 2" more than our "JJ" rotation and that's where the problem comes in. With our twisted up version the bottom of the 205 is level with the bottom of the 203 so it's still about 8-8.5" below the centerline. Yours looks to be about 6" or so below the centerline.

[/ QUOTE ]

True! See, I hadn't looked closely to the pics of your "JJ" (I would assume this is James' initials?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) configuration as opposed to the pics on on your K5 Spec page. For some reason, I thought the 2" up designation was the same as "up to flat" - Major Difference.

I have put my worrying cap aside and have chalked up several options for my front driveline issues. First of all, the T Cases are going in tonight to check said angles and I will know a little more about what I need to do. I'll keep you updated.