Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High clearance Headers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The dynomax headers I have now hang down pretty good and end up somewhat close to the crossmember. With the addition of the "L" bracket going on (end of 205 to the frame), looks like I could use a higher clearance header. Anybody know of a good one for a Big Block? thanks.

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Doug Thorley Try-Y's are good headers and have good clearance on small and big blocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifThere was a post on this same subject about a couple of weeks ago. Try a search it will probably come up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Sandman

But I like Posting! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did and some people liked the Hooker headers as well for the clearance. Just looking for more directed input on the clearance issue.

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I can tell /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif J/K!! PM Shawn Sprinkler he runs them on his K5. He can give you alot of input from first hand experience /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll second the vote for the Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers. A guy down the street from me has a set on a 454 in a 79 steepside. 205 T-case. Pleanty of clearence.

6. Sandman

Thanks. I'll look those up too and see what I can find. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I used to have the same dynomax headers until I banged the passengers side one on a rock and bent the collector flange on my exhaust pipe. I replaced them with a pair of Summit headers (made by Flow-Tech) for a 88-98 fullsize 1/2 ton 4x4. I think they will also work with Vortec heads. I had a 3" Y-pipe bent and added a single flowmaster muffler in between the t-case and framerail. My exhaust guy bent the y-pipe up nice and high and the muffler is protected by the t-case crossmember. Here's a pic of one of the headers. You can see how the collector doesnt even go below the frame rail

[​IMG]

Here's the muffler tucked up next to the t-case. There's a turn down now, but I still need to have a tailpipe made
    [​IMG]

8. Sandman

Now thats what I had in mind! Thanks! It looks like that header was designed to bolt up to the stock exhaust. do you know if that is how it is?

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

10. Sandman

Is that on a Small Block? On my small block I didnt have any troubles. They only came about when I went to the Big Block. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

I ran Hedman part number 68190 on my late model (77) truck with a 454. Those headers fit a big block Camaro, by the way. They are almost up against the floorboard.

12. Sandman

Thanks. I'l check those out too. I have a 3" body lift, so that might work out well.

13. Sandman

I've got a set for a Big Block Chevelle. Maybe I'll try those. I know they dont work normally but maybe with the body lift they will.

14. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

15. Sandman

How high in relation to the crossmember does the passenger side collector come out? Also, how close is it to the crossmember? Thanks.

16. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

The passenger side on the Thorleys is really high. I'd say 2-3" above the crossmember. That one you won't have an issue with. It was a little close to my fuel lines but I wrapped them in the heat blanket stuff and no problems. The drivers side comes down lower and the pipe coming off the collector has to be bent up to go inside the crossmember. Plenty of room to allow the shackles to move and no front shaft issues. The only thing I don't like with the Thorleys is the 2.5" collector. For my 496, I'd like have 3". I'm going to try the Sanderson shorty headers soon.