Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High compression heads on burbanzilla or not..

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

allrighty, I've finaly got money coming in again, and its finaly after 6 months of postphonement come time to build the 454 that's going into Burbanzilla, my 73 K20. what I have is a stock 454, .030 over, rebuilt 2 years ago by the previous owner with only 9 months driving time on it before the truck was wrecked in an accident. for this, I have a high torque RV cam, performer intake, and a set of high compression 427 heads I bought from another CK5 member. I'm debating wether to put the high compression heads on here, or leave them off to avoid needing to run Premium gas. from the way the previous owner described them, they'll probably bump me about a point of compression (if its a stock CA emissions 454 from 73 compression is 9.0:1. if its federal, then its 10.25:1 stock) which'll raise horsepower, but may also raise the need to run either lead additive, or higher octane fuel. with the way gas prices keep going up, I'm a bit wary of putting something that'll force me to pay for more expensive gas, and potentialy not give me as much return on power, since there's a good chance I'd still have to run them retarded.

anyone have any thoughts on this? ( perhaps I'll e-mail the guy I bought them from, and ask if he had to upgrade his fuel)

-Rich

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

If your 454 was rebuilt, there is no telling what the compression is. If it has "stock" pistons in it, they probably are not over 8:1 compression. I used to run a set of closed chamber 396 heads (smallest combustion chambers=higher compression) on my 8:1 454 with no trouble with gas or pinging. They seemed to help performance. I would go ahead and use them, as the alternate is to run stock 454 open chamber heads and deal with the lowish (8:1) compression.