Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

High Flow, Factory Replacement Cat's ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Apr 17, 2004.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

High Flow, Factory Replacement Cat\'s ??

Looks like its time to change the cat on my 88.
    The damn thing is big. Is there a high flow type that is a direct replacement so I dont need to re-plumb the exhaust?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: High Flow, Factory Replacement Cat\'s ??

When I had my stuff replaced, I got a Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat.

I got a new muffler too, so everything from the cat back got new stuff, but the cat is probably 1/3 the size of the stock one.

3. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not to hyjack. But how do you like that magnaflow Hi-flow cat??? I was thinking of having 1 installed...

justin

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Just make sure you get a monolith (sp?) style cat. and not an OE style and you will be happy. I have found that the "high flow" designation adds to the price.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you get a highflow cat you might want to stay away from Catco.

I have dual exhaust and when it was installed I had catco highflows put in. One of the cats went out it 3 years the other in 4.

I am now using Car Sound cats and sofar so good but I have only had them in for about 1 & 2 years.

Harley

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it. It worked for it's intended purpose, which was to pass the CA Smog Test. It's also small, which cleared up a lot of room underneath. Now that it's 'not' needed, I'll probably be redoing my exhaust in a few months and losing the cat.

not to hyjack. But how do you like that magnaflow Hi-flow cat??? I was thinking of having 1 installed...

justin

[/ QUOTE ]

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Considering im running the stock manifolds and muffler, do you still think its worth going to the high flow type? How bad are the stock ones or the PeP Boys Universal types?

Its a terrible thing but the older I get, the more I like leaving the old, stock, reliable, stuff in place. With the calif smog laws, it will probably be several years before I can really start changing the engine and exhaust systems /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Considering im running the stock manifolds and muffler, do you still think its worth going to the high flow type? How bad are the stock ones or the PeP Boys Universal types?

Its a terrible thing but the older I get, the more I like leaving the old, stock, reliable, stuff in place. With the calif smog laws, it will probably be several years before I can really start changing the engine and exhaust systems /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with the draconian smog laws, you are outside the window for replacement only for a failed part BS. I still have the stock exhaust manifolds on mine, but like I mentioned, I replaced the muffler too; both items were needing it. I imagine they sell a cat with the appropriate tube size. I don't really know what the shop was thinking when they did mine, cause they ran 3" from the crossover back. Of course I will need it if I ever get to do a BBC swap.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Funny enough friend has Catco on his '85 SS, about 3 years old now, and the matrix in it just now broke up and plugged his exhaust.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When they go out it is bad too. When the first one went out it got hot enough to make the cat red hot and it caught some tranny fluid or grease from my leaky 208 or driveshaft on fire.

The second one wasn't as bad but you could tell it was going out. The exhaust wasn't breathing on that side very well and I was loosing lots of power.

I hope my parent and I move to a none emission county soon so I can ditch these POS's. They make you loose power, and they kill tone too.

My fake flowmasters sound pretty good without cats killing there tone.

Harley

11. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I think my huge stock cat might me getting pluged or something /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif the 40 series flowmaster is not as loud as it used to be /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, horseshit! I have had catcos on mine for aboot 3 years....*crosses fingers and starts chanting Hail Mary's*... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you have AIR fittings, you can check exhaust restriction with a pressure gauge. Anything over 5PSI (? might be lower like 2-3) means you have an exhaust restriction. You can also drill a hole in the pipe to test this.

Straight out of GM service manual.